Keg lesson learned and lid-seal query

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zakleeright

Reaction score
Four kegs, all set to ~25 PSI to force-carbonate.
Days later, carbonation achieved, reduce to ~8 PSI...Mmmm...beer.

Just because kegs don't leak at 25 PSI, doesn't mean they won't leak with only 8 PSI pushing against the seal...recheck your keg's lid seals after reducing pressure, *******.
Also, those check valves I've been meaning to get for each gas line...get 'em.
My rectal-cranial inversion was only noticed this morning, by the empty CO2 tank.
1 of 4 keg seals is leaking. Swapped lids, still leaks.
Tried putting a bit of keg lube around the o-ring...nope.

I can see no obvious flaw in the keg itself, yet there must be one. Anyone have ideas on this?
Cheers

Did you positively verify (bubbles) the lid is leaking? Can be a QD/post connection too.

There could be a burr or deep scratch on the inside flange, a dent, or a deformed edge.
Although the lid is being sealed by the pressure inside, the bail can help in keeping it seated and provide a basic seal. Perhaps put a dime or penny under the bail's legs.

They make slightly thicker O-rings for the lid, which could help.

If it's a racetrack keg they tend to be known for tenacious lid seal issues.

yea...did the starsan-bubble test to determine it was coming from around the seal. I Starsan'ed my hands, ran them around the keg where the seal contacts, re-seated the lid, and went from 8 to 10PSI, and it sealed...Thanks for the tag. I'll look around for some of those thicker o-rings.
Cheers

Dry fitting lids and disconnects is usually problematic. If you got the keg lid to seal just by wetting it you probably could just apply some keg lube and be good to go. And using the lube on your keg posts will also prevent dry fitting your disconnects being your next problem...

Cheers!

Back