Keg Kicked- Is Yeast Slurry Viable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuse88

Reaction score
I just had a keg of a Dubbel kick and was thinking of brewing a cider. Could I potentially just add the juice and ferment in the keg (I have a fermentation lid for the keg)? The Dubbel was about a year old and naturally carbed, so I doubt this is possible but figured I'd ask. Cheers!

The yeast should still be good, but there is probably not enough to ferment a complete batch. If you plan on re-using the yeast slurry in your keg, I would make a starter a to build up the cell count.

Would this apply to pretty much any slurry one might discover?

Yeast from a year old keg?

If this is a post from the future, in a world where yeast was lost due to the radiation.... then sure give it a whirl.

Personally, I'd look for some healthier yeast.

I say go for it. I have an ongoing project where I'm seeing how long leftover keg yeast can give me good results with a cider. A year might be a bit old but if its been kept around dispensing temperature I would bet you would have enough to ferment a cider.

Although the yeast maybe as viable as from a bottle conditioned Belgian, there can be another issue. That's of selection for the lesser flocculating population, iow, the yeast that has remained in suspension after the fermentation subsided. Your next beer from this may stay cloudy for a long(er) time.

yeah I wouldn't try and use the yeast from a kegged anything for fermentation. You've already had it for a year doing nothing but sitting in a 7-8% ABV solution. You could grow enough up to mathmatically make enough to pitch but you'd probably spend more on starters than a fresh vial of WLP007 or Cider Yeast.

yeah I wouldn't try and use the yeast from a kegged anything for fermentation. You've already had it for a year doing nothing but sitting in a 7-8% ABV solution. You could grow enough up to mathmatically make enough to pitch but you'd probably spend more on starters than a fresh vial of WLP007 or Cider Yeast.

Whoa, good call. I missed the the part of the post that said it was one year old. Guess I'll have to read those posts a little more closely.

I just had a keg of a Dubbel kick and was thinking of brewing a cider. Could I potentially just add the juice and ferment in the keg (I have a fermentation lid for the keg)? The Dubbel was about a year old and naturally carbed, so I doubt this is possible but figured I'd ask. Cheers!

It's still good. Make a mini cider (starter) and taste it. If it tastes good, use it!

Though I prefer not to, I've used slurry from my "yeast fridge" that was a year old, without a starter. It will have a longer lag time, and requires more slurry. But buying some fresh yeast is sometimes the better option.

Back