keg gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renshaw

Reaction score
I brought a cheapo plastic keg came with the little 8grm gas bulbs.

I was thinking, if the beer is added plus priming sugar should their be enough pressure from that to not need to use the bulbs or do they have to be used.

Overall i have no idea, dont want it blowing up on me!!

Any advise would be fantastic! :)

renshaw said:
I brought a cheapo plastic keg came with the little 8grm gas bulbs.

I was thinking, if the beer is added plus priming sugar should their be enough pressure from that to not need to use the bulbs or do they have to be used.

Overall i have no idea, dont want it blowing up on me!!

Any advise would be fantastic! :)

Normally the gas produced from the priming will be ok until the keg gets towards empty.

If you drink it slowly then back pressure will build up again. But if you drink it quickly (like me) then the pressure will become too low to push the beer out of the keg. If this happens, air will be sucked in through the tap and may spoil your beer. At this point inject some CO2.

The injector apparatus on your keg will have a pressure release mechanism - so you won't risk explosions.

renshaw said:
So basiclly i just need to prim it, leave it.. top up if needed :)

thank you.

Exactly, add priming sugar to the keg, wait a couple of weeks (if you can) at room temp (just like bottling) then cool and serve. Add CO2 when required to maintain serving pressure.

You'll never get highly carbonated beer with a plastic keg due to the blow-off regulator in the cap.

Back