Keg fittings and confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dttk0009

Reaction score
I'm trying to build together a kegerator set up, and I'm a little confused about the fittings. Here is the run down:

I have an old Coke keg with pin locks. I'm planning on buying two Pin Lock Flare QDs. The way I understand it, there's a nut and a barb. The flare QDs available at the site (morebeer) come in the 1/4' size. Now, the beverage tubing I'd like to use is 3/16'.

My first question is, will my 3/16' tube still be compatible with this size? I saw no 3/16' barbs for sale.

Second, when buying the flare fitting nuts, should they correspond to the size of the flare fitting itself or the barb?

In short, would a Flare fitting with 1/4' barb+nut work with a 3/16' beverage tube?

Thanks in advance!

Bonus question - Any preference for gas tubing? Can I use beverage tubing for the gas line as well? Planning on just getting 15ft of this stuff. Would 1/4' work better for gas? Is that size more compatible with regulators?

yes will be fine might be a little tight to get on if it is put the end of the tube in hot water for a min or two and it should slip on

The nut needs to correspond to the fitting it's going to connect to. The tailpiece (which has the barb on it) can be sized to match the tubing. As mentioned above, a quick dip in boiling water will soften 3/16" tubing enough to easily fit onto 1/4" barbs. That tubing should work fine for the gas lines also. Gas tubing size really doesn't matter, but FWIW most of the barbs I see on stuff sold for gas side is either 1/4" or 5/16".

I think you are always better off with a barb that is one size too big. The hot water dip trick makes for a more secure fit, especially on the gas line!

I would get yourself some 1/4" tubing for the CO2 side, if for nothing else than it is so much cheaper than good beverage line. Save the extra beverage line for future uses.

Once again, thanks for the input! I feel like I understand how I'll be setting this up quite clearly now. I'm longing to taste my first, tapped, homebrew ale.

Back