Keg fermenting warning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xalwine

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Please, For the love of beer, if you ferment in a corny keg, Remeber to hit your lid with some pressure to seat it. It will stay seated even after you bleed to co2, and remove the pressure relief valve... So please don't forget like I did this last time....

300362_587455762616_83504494_31698815_8090706_n.jpg

To make things worse, my wife found this after I had left for work. I usually check my fermenters at the 12 hr mark... I forgot this time....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up. I'm pitching yeast into my first corny ferment (its been cooling down no-chill style since brewday yesterday) tonight. I'll remember to give it a blast of 30 psi. It would be cool to hook up an oxygen reg to a QD, then you could oxygenate and seat at the same time!

Thanks for the heads up. I'm pitching yeast into my first corny ferment (its been cooling down no-chill style since brewday yesterday) tonight. I'll remember to give it a blast of 30 psi. It would be cool to hook up an oxygen reg to a QD, then you could oxygenate and seat at the same time!

I hadn't thought of that... there should be a way.... when I get home i'll be going to my garage.....

That's actually just a keg specific issue. I've been fermenting in kegs for almost 2 years and never had that issue. I never seal it with co2 beforehand.

My buddy and I bought some used kegs recently and he just had this problem. It's just a bad seal with the lid. You just have to remember to seal that particular one with pressure before use every time.

That's actually just a keg specific issue. I've been fermenting in kegs for almost 2 years and never had that issue. I never seal it with co2 beforehand.

My buddy and I bought some used kegs recently and he just had this problem. It's just a bad seal with the lid. You just have to remember to seal that particular one with pressure before use every time.

Could be. I always try to be safe than sorry. It's still beer and it's just a leak. only lost a pint or 2 in foam.

Overall things could have been worse.

-EDIT-

I don't mean to sound like I'm saying "It's just beer" what i meant was that It will still be beer and I lost a very small amount.

Back