keg cooling questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captainfester

Master of the Seas
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
this should probably be in the keg forum, but since its my newb question of the day i posted here.

what is considered the better way to cool and dispense kegs, freezer or fridge?

and why if there are reasons?

I would say freezer - if you make the investment into either, you probably would also want to make the investment in temperature control, so you don't gain much by using a refrigerator over a freezer.

But a chest freezer would allow you to fit more kegs into it.

I would say the chest freezer, especially if you are crafty enough to modify the lid and add some taps. With a temp controller they are great for fermenting and aging lagers.

I have both, but dispense from my fridge and ferment in my freezer.

Fridge-
Pros:
-I can still fit four corny kegs in my fridge and run the taps out the door. No additional work in building a tap tower or collar.
-Usually easier to find exactly what you want used on craigslist for less money (at least in my case)
-I still have a freezer to use up top for keeping my mugs frosty (though I tend to use room temp mugs these days, and the freezer is full of frozen baby food... lol)

Cons:
-If you mount the taps through the door, you have to be careful using long tap handles or you'll open the taps along with the freezer door.

Chest Freezer-
Pros:
-You can fit a crapload of corny kegs in there, depending on the size freezer you get.
-Easier to be customized into a bartop setup, if that's what you're looking for.
-Can be used for fermenting and serving, if you space your brews out enough.

Cons:
-Moisture builds up inside... a lot. Products such as damp-rid help, but don't fully eliminate.
-Usually harder to find if you're looking for a cheap used one. YMMV
-You need spend additional money on a temp controller to keep it at serving temps. Which you can either build yourself (search ebay temp controller on here) or buy a pre-built one such as a Johnson.

Refrigerator"
-You don't need a temperature controller
-Cheap refrigerators are all over the place, especially old dorm fridges

Freezers:
-Better insulation, more efficient
-More/better use of space

If you are on a tight budget, go with a cheap refrigerator. If you can afford it make a keezer.

Latest posts

Back