Keg conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xmacro

Reaction score
If I want to condition a beer in the keg instead of a bottle, do I need to keep it on the gas the entire time, or can I charge the keg once and set it aside at room temp for the entire time?

What PSI should I use? 12?

Keep in mind I don't want to force carb a green beer, I just wanna let the beer condition in the keg for a month or so, then I'll slow carb it after it's conditioned

You can purge and seal the lid with 20+psi and disconnect. It won't carb the beer, but will let it condition with no problems. If you have the capability to leave the gas on while it is warm, that's OK too. The beer will condition while being carbed. Depending on the style, the pressure will be different. But, it will be significantly higher than if you did it with a cold keg.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html?15239968#tag

You can also add sugar/dme hit it with 20 psi and let it carb naturaly. If you have beersmith it can calculate the amount for you but basically it is half the amount you would use for bottles. Then when your ready give it a couple of days to chill, and toss the first pint wich will mainly be yeast, after that it will pour clear

Back