keg conditioning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artongue

Reaction score
I brewed an arrogant bastard semi-clone that has sat in the primary for about 2 weeks. I usually like to rack to my secondary and let my beers sit for another 2 weeks, but due to hosting a shindig on monday I am wanting to keg it and uber-force carb it so its ready in time. Im just wondering if a beer will continue to condition and age after it has been carbed and is kept cool in the keg (~40F, and assuming its not gone by the end of my shindig). Also, if i chose to add whiskey soaked oak chips (in a nylon bag for easy removal) , rack to keg and uber force carb, will the oak cubes still do their thing, despite the beer already being carbed?

Yeah, the beer will continue to condition in the keg, even though it is carbonated. It will take a bit longer when it is cool to condition, but still will. A beer that is only 1 month old will still be a bit green, regardless of conditioning method. As for the chips, they should still work even if the beer if carbonated.

The beer will still be green for a while. Not only because you kegged and force carbed early, but in the colder climate of a fridge, it will take longer to condition properly.

Back