keg conditioning and priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bike2brew

Hops Kitchen Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to add my priming sugar into a mini keg for carbonation. Do I need to dissolve it in water 1st? How much water to the sugar? Or can I just dissolve it into the beer during the transfer from the fermenter? I read somewhere that the amount of sugar used in a keg is substantially less than in bottle conditioning. How much less?

Thanks.

I condition in corny kegs to a rather low amount of carbonation to mimic cask ales, I do the same as when bottling, dissolve sugar in hot water and boil it for a minute or 2 to sterilise the solution, then put it in the keg and rack on to it.
I have never really understood the whole using less sugar thing, when looking at the headspace vs headspace of a filled bottle, I have come to the conclusion that they are pretty much the same, and the kegs are best treated as a big bottle if you carb naturally.
Regarding the amount of sugar, there are calculators for how much to use, it's hard to just say a set amount as there are factors, how much does the keg hold? What temp is the beer at when you keg? What level of carbonation do you desire?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

A spunding valve, e.g. cheap Blowtie valve, offers more control when conditioning naturally in kegs. No need to worry about second guessing how much less priming sugar to add

Back