keg conditioning and priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bike2brew

Hops Kitchen Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to add my priming sugar into a mini keg for carbonation. Do I need to dissolve it in water 1st? How much water to the sugar? Or can I just dissolve it into the beer during the transfer from the fermenter? I read somewhere that the amount of sugar used in a keg is substantially less than in bottle conditioning. How much less?

Thanks.

I condition in corny kegs to a rather low amount of carbonation to mimic cask ales, I do the same as when bottling, dissolve sugar in hot water and boil it for a minute or 2 to sterilise the solution, then put it in the keg and rack on to it.
I have never really understood the whole using less sugar thing, when looking at the headspace vs headspace of a filled bottle, I have come to the conclusion that they are pretty much the same, and the kegs are best treated as a big bottle if you carb naturally.
Regarding the amount of sugar, there are calculators for how much to use, it's hard to just say a set amount as there are factors, how much does the keg hold? What temp is the beer at when you keg? What level of carbonation do you desire?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

A spunding valve, e.g. cheap Blowtie valve, offers more control when conditioning naturally in kegs. No need to worry about second guessing how much less priming sugar to add

Latest posts

Back