Keg Carbonation, the sweet spot...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WenValley

Reaction score
I'm still building my keezer, I have the Ranco temp controller on it's way. I have four corny kegs in the "spare" fridge.

1 Simcoe IPA, 1 Stout, 1 Honey Ale, 1 Coopers Lager (extract).
I'm dispensing right now with a three foot 3/16" hose and a picnic tap (until the keezers done).

I don't have CO2 piped into the fridge, so I have to gas up the kegs when I pull them out of the fridge. I've been taking the keg out, letting the pressure out, then connecting it to the CO2 and setting the pressure to about 3-10 pounds depending on the beer.

The Honey Ale is carbed just right. The IPA is way over carbed, two inches of beer, 6 inches of foam, even when I turn the pressure down to 3 pounds.

When I've been putting the kegs back into the spare fridge, I've been bumping the pressure back up to 12 pounds before the keg goes back into the cold (but like I say, there's no CO2 in the fridge).

How do I get the IPA uncarbed? Put it back into the fridge with no added CO2 after dispensing a pint? Leave it out with the top off? Blow CO2 into the beverage out port? Leave it out to warm up, and bleed off the CO2?

The Keezer will make this easier as the CO2 tank will go in with the kegs for constant pressure and I'll have more than one picnic tap.

The Stout seems like it's over carbed too, so I'm hoping that the fix for the IPA will also fix the stout.

Thanks in advance for your carefully considered reply. :mug::mug::mug:

Your hose needs to be at least 6 foot and I recommend more like 8 foot. 12-14 psi at serving temp ~36-38˚ maye a bit higher if that your thing, is the sweet spot.
But unless it's constant pressure, you undercarbed beer will absorb some co2 and equalize to the new lower psi, you need a regulator dosing the PSI you want. One it's there you could disconnect if needed and providing there's no leaks in the keg it will stay put, until you start pulling beer out, increasing head space and lowering the head pressure. If your IPA is truly over carbed, shake it, bleed the pressure and see how it acts in a day or two. repeat if necessary.
You are correct that once you have them on constant pressure all wil be good, no more guesswork. I hook up a keg to serving pressure and within a week it's nearly there, and at 2 weeks it's just right and maintains it. You can force carb quicker using higher pressure and shaking, or a carbonation stone, but usually the beer could use a week or two to condition anyway.
happy kegging

Back