Keg Carbonation Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage06

Reaction score
I made a Bavarian Dunkelweizen with The Weihenstephan yeast strain. Looking at carbonation calculators to style this is a very heavily carbonated beer. Most Calculators say about 4 vols so the equilibrium PSi pressure is 25.7 psi

However I want to serve this on Saturday afternoon most quick carb methods say to set it to 30 psi for a few days and then back down to serving pressure however this is for 2 Vols of carbonation.

So should I be setting my regulator to 60psi for two days then dial it down to 25.7?

Or should I just try to employ the shake the **** out of the keg at like 40psi then dial it down to the 25.7

Essentially what is the best and most consistent method to get up to the ideal 4 Vols of carbonation by Saturday?

If you need it by Saturday the set and forget method isn't going to work. That can take weeks. Depending on your connects they may not hold at 60psi. In my opinion turn the keg on its side with the “gas in” on the top and the “beer out” line on the bottom. You should be able to hear the gas going into the extra headspace and gently rock it back and forth for about 15 min. Be careful that beer isn't going up the gas line and definitely don't hit the pressure relief valve on the co2 regulator, not that I know from experience but it makes a horrible mess. After about 15 min of shaking bring the keg upright and give it 1-2 hours to let it settle down. Try it and if it needs more start the process over again. Remember that beer will absorb the co2 better the colder the beer is.

Good Luck!

Back