Keg Carbonation Issues, Please Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Way back in 2013 when I was new to brewing I posted about my early beers being completely flat. I received some extremely helpful suggestions and I thought I had the problem figured out. However, after many, many batches, I am still having carbonation issues with my batches and I am need of some major assistance. Here is where I am at:

I rack into a 5 gallon corny keg. Sometimes I force carb and sometimes I use corn sugar. The results do not seem that different to me although my early forced carbed beers taste a little too gassy. If I use corn sugar I make sure to top off with CO2. After one to two weeks of sitting I connect them up to an 7 foot beer line and a 2 foot gas line. My CO2 is at 10psi. My beers pour with a 1-2 inch head, but taste more like a caste conditioned beer - a little carbonated, but nothing like you would get opening up a can, bottle, or buying a tap in a bar. I've checked for leaks across the board and I am currently on my 5th keg with my 5lb CO2 tank and have plenty of CO2 left in the tank. All of my kits are extract kits and I would say about 90% of my batches go directly from the primary into the keg with my dry hops added into the keg - bagged of course.

I am at a loss. Are my lines too long/short, should I be burping my keg after racking with corn sugar and topping off with CO2, or is it something more basic and I am just not seeing it. You guys and girls have been rock stars for me in the past with your advice. Thank you for your help!

Honestly, why go through the process of adding corn sugar when you have it on CO2 gas...to me thats one of the huge advantages of having a keg system is not waiting the 3 weeks for it to naturally carb.

Second, explain your force carbonation processes a bit more. I typically have my CO2 at 25-30 PSI for 3 days up to a week depending on the style of beer. Then I turn it down to serving pressure. So if your only at 10PSI that isn't going to get the beer carbonated unless you wait a longer period of time...

So I am guessing with the process your doing...your not giving the beer enough time to naturally carbonate or carbonate at such a low pressure...if you expand on that more it will help. I don't think it has anything to do with your lines or system. It seems like a processes error IMHO with what you have given.

Also, a side note the offer flavors don't have anything to do with the carbonation process but they do have something to do with brewing and storing process which is a hold other topic...

Grassy
Flavors reminiscent of chlorophyll and fresh cut grass occasionally occur and are most often linked to poorly stored ingredients. Poorly stored malt can pick up moisture and develop musty smells. Aldehydes can form in old malt and can contribute green grass flavors. Hops are another source of these green flavors. If the hops are poorly stored or not properly dried prior to storage, the chlorophyll compounds will become evident in the beer.

Thank you for the reply. I normally force carb at serving temperature between 20-25 for about three days. I just racked one tonight and I kicked it up to 30 and will give it a go after three days.

My flavors are great, but as noted sometimes when forced carbed the first pint or two seem a little gassy (not grassy), almost over carbonated then back to flatness, or more cask conditioned. I do enjoy cask conditioned beers, but I'm hoping this next batch is not one of them.

Oh my fault, I read that wrong. I am honestly not too sure why your beer would taste too gassy then...lose carbonation..I have never had that issue. But I keep my serving temp kind of high ...around 15 PSI.

I have had a lot if success by setting a psi based on one of the keg carbonation calculators. Most ambers and IPAs are carbonated to about 2.5 volumes which is 12psi at 40 degrees. This has been my go to carbonation temperature and pressure for most ales. 5-6 days and it pours very nice.

Latest posts

Back