Keezer w/ tower on wheels? PITA or the solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistercameron

Reaction score
I'm considering a tower for my keezer, but I've been reading some of the downsides that occur when the lid is open - namely the tower hitting the wall, access to taps being restricted, etc.

Big question - does putting the keezer on casters for better access cause the beer to get sloshed around too much? Seems it's a good way to stir up settled yeast.

Anything else to consider, or solution to some of these top tower pains?

Thanks!

The beer sloshes around a bit but I don't think there is much of a quality issue. I rolled my keezer across the street to my buddy's house for a party and didn't notice any unusual cloudiness.

I used furniture sliders instead of casters to keep the height down. I have my keezer on carpet.

If it sits still for a day or so before the first pull, any sediment should come out in the first draw, since the dip tubes hit the bottom of the keg. How often would you really roll it around? Casters are mission-critical.

I have my keezer on casters I reclaimed off of a furniture dolly. It's kinda a PITA to get them to roll after the keezer has been sitting stationary for a few weeks on my carpet. The sliders sound like a good idea.

I have a 15 cuft freezer on 6 casters with a 10 tap tower on top. It's on tile and it's no issue to pull it out a few inches to open it up. I haven't noticed any sloshing or getting a cloudy pint after moving it.

[edit]
Here's a picture of how my top looks and a link to the casters I used. There may be better choices, but they work for me.
https://www.sescasters.com/scripts/...SC&f_status=&f_caster_series_id=85&keywords=&

10444769_10203602815864392_8652205007442992300_n.jpg

I probably won't pull it in often, but my most recent experience is coming off a cider that seemed to cloud up with the slightest touch. Go figure

How is cleaning? Biermuncher seemed to suggest it's a big pain because you can't access your taps while the lid is open. It seems leaving the lid ajar should be fine while you have the line out and attached to your line cleaner. I can see where there might be cases where it's not preferable, but I have to wonder just how big of a deal it actually is.

I keep a piece of pvc pipe in the keezer to keep it ajar. It may be easier to have a lid that opens without being attached to the taps, but I don't think it's a big deal. The biggest pain for me is going from using a fridge as a kegerator to a freezer is having to lift the kegs into the kegerator. I'm happy overall to go from 4 taps to running 6-8 at a time. I can fit 8 kegs in the bottom and 2 3 gal kegs on the shelf, but I usually only run 6-7 beers and 1 keg of carbonated water.

I use fridge rollers. They allow shallow footprint and less weight per cubic inch due to caster surface area touching the floor. You should have no clouding of your beer after you pull the first few glasses. I use CO2 from cylinder to carbonate and geletin when I cold crash light coloured brews and always clear as a bell. Roll on. Fridge casters only work for back and forth short distances on a smooth floor!

Last edited:
My keezer/tower setup is on wheels, expressly for access.

I cold crash and gelatin fine all my beers in primary before kegging, so I have minimal sediment in the kegs anyway. No cloudiness upon moving mine.

Back