Keezer surrounded by built-in shelving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ddubduder

Reaction score
So long story short I've been given the go ahead to begin building a keezer, the one catch is the wife doesn't like the way they look. No matter how any awesome builds I show her the answer is still "I don't like it". Her compromise was to build the whole thing into a wall shelving unit and hide it away. Anyone tried anything like this? I've seen in wall systems but I'm thinking more a keezer build flush into a wall of shelves. Maybe a door that closes around it with a smaller door for a tower. My talent for wood working is relatively limited but it has yet to stop me from attempting/succeeding with other projects. Any help would be appreciated.

Couple of things that come to mind:

keezers are much deeper than a standard shelf, which means that you would have to put some back to the shelves unless you wanted the keezer sticking out about a foot, which I don't think matches what your wife is looking for.

access, you still have to be able to get in to put the kegs in. A chest type will have to be away from the wall a couple inches in order to lift the lid.

I was thinking about the depth issue, I do see some shelving with bump outs but more than likely not as big as a chest freezer. I'm thinking entertainment centerline of bump out. That's something I'll have to think about.

Getting it in and out. I want to have a shelf going across the top, I could make it similar to a leaf system. Put the shelf on and it blends in with the built ins but take it off and you not can roll the freezer and tower out together.

These are all just preliminary ideas, please keep poking holes in it. The more I think through now the less issues I'll have making it/explaining why it can't be done.

Thanks for all your help.

So project averted, turns out the wife doesn't like towers on keepers...not the whole keezer. Not really sure why but I'll take the good with the bad. My project just got a lot easier. Now to find some kegs and I'll be on my way.

If you go back to the built in route, I had good luck (with the wife) with a summit built in. The cabinets were built around it. I pitched it as a buffet. :)

100_2088.JPG

100_2090.JPG

Wow that looks really nice Dcbc. I was really trying to lean towards a keezer style mainly for the number of taps that you could expand to but that's an option. I'll throw it by the boss and see what she says.

Nice build dcbc!

Ddub, Glad to hear you got the green on a good old keezer, they're quite groovy. But if you do end up doing the built in option, definitely avoid chest freezers. Do something like dcbc.

Similiar issue with my SWMBO. Check out my solution in the link in my signature. I fould a 1950's console radio and converted that. Closed up it looks like just another piece of furniture.

Howiedw said:
Similiar issue with my SWMBO. Check out my solution in the link in my signature. I fould a 1950's console radio and converted that. Closed up it looks like just another piece of furniture.
All I can say is wow. Your build is awesome Howie. Hats off to you sir. That direction might be something I have to consider. It's more than I was originally thinking but I kinda dig the challenge of it ...not to mention the end product. Ok, the wheels are a turning.

May not be what your looking for but ill throw it out there anyways.

Someone posted this on Reddit a while ago, as i too am looking at building a keezer but wanted some storage, turning it into a nice mini bar like this all but sealed the deal for me. Its going to be my rough style guidelines, although probably add some glass doors or something to keep cats from knocking all the glasses out.

I like that he did the entire build in pictures. May give you some inspiration on building it into some other cabinetry.

http://imgur.com/a/MCI0j#0

upbooVgh.jpg

Thanks for all of the compliments. But to be clear, I didn't build that. We have a good cabinet guy. I can take credit for the original drawing in MS Paint. The rest of the praise should be directed at the professionals that built it.

FuzzeWuzze said:
May not be what your looking for but ill throw it out there anyways. Someone posted this on Reddit a while ago, as i too am looking at building a keezer but wanted some storage, turning it into a nice mini bar like this all but sealed the deal for me. Its going to be my rough style guidelines, although probably add some glass doors or something to keep cats from knocking all the glasses out. I like that he did the entire build in pictures. May give you some inspiration on building it into some other cabinetry. http://imgur.com/a/MCI0j#0
That looks awesome, I'm over ruling the wife, this is the direction I'm going.... And it's definitely beginner possible. Just have to take my time and measure twice, haha. Thanks for the suggestion Fuzze

Yup it does look amazing, when i saw it i was like...THATS what i want...ive liked a lot of the keezer builds but this one was an instant yes.

Latest posts

Back