keezer noob balancing issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barlow1990

Reaction score
I built a keezer and I guess i thought it would be the same as my danby kegerator for balancing. So what I did was take the beverage line from my kegerator and got beverage lines the same exact length. (11ft),. anyway im getting a foamy ass pour and it sucks and im probably wasting my brew. so here goes
12ft of 3/16 thick walled bev line
carbed beer at 30 psi for 3 days at 37degrees
relieved pressure and set to 11psi for serving waited abut 2hrs before pouring.
tried serving at 9psi, 10psi, 12 psi and 13 all foamy
keezer still set to 37 f
serving a blonde 4.8abv and an ipa 7.8abv .
one co2 tank with a single primary regulator running to a 4 gauge secondary reg.
its a normal chest freezer with a collar made of 2 by 6'' wood so Id estimate tap height from center of keg is about 2ft.
running homebrew 5gal corny kegs .
please help i'm lost right now and I dont want to waste the beer ive spent a month making

Last edited:
The beer is probably overcarbed with the three days at 30 psi at that temp.
Releasing to 11 psi doesn't make the beer at 11psi because right up until you pulled the pin to lower the head space pressure everything was balanced at 30 psi.
All that happens after pin pulling is the excess gas comes out of the beer and enters headspace until the pressure balances. If that's higher than your balanced line length you get foaming. There is a quick way of reducing the pressure but I can't remember where I saw it on this forum. You can get a large jug and pour a glass of foam, let it settle, meantime vent the keg a bit more. Then have some of your beer and return to the keg after the beer, repour some more into jug and check the pressure. Keep repeating ( you don't have to keep the drinking going ) until the pressure is steady at your old kegerator pressure for that beer line length.
Other things that cause foaming are dirty lines and taps but don't think this is your issue.
Taking beer out of the keg isn't just to calm you down it's helpful in that it removes CO2 and increases the headspace for balancing.

Very frustrating for you though.
I use the 4mm internal diameter line on my kegs and only need about 4.5 foot ( sorry to mix units ) so your overfoaming does suggest to much CO2 at the moment.

Yup, @DuncB beat me to the punchline: " carbed beer at 30 psi for 3 days at 37degrees " is definitely going to overcarbonate most beers - only the thickest, barleywine FG could sustain that level of CO2 injection without going batpoopy foamy :D

See Overcarbed Keg? Here's an INSTANT SOLUTION!
I used this, once, when a regulator when out of control unnoticed. It totally worked :)

Cheers!

Wrong type of hockey for me that you watch. Not to say it isn't fun as well. Bit early for my first one as only 16:10 here.
But another hour or so when I've rehung the brewery room door ( wife insists it is the laundry ) after a coat of paint has finished drying then I'll be firing up the beer engine I think.

Back