Keezer/Kegerator Brainstorm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBiersSWMBO

Reaction score
My dear old kegerator left us last week. He served us well... but we must move on.

Now, I've bought a replacement freezer. It's HUGE! It's a Frigidaire 24.9 Cu. Ft. 35 inches tall, 29.5 deep, and 73.25 wide.

So what I'm wondering is what would be the best conversion for a freezer of this size. Its too big for us to pull away from the wall everytime we need to open it. So as much as I like the top tower design, I don't know if that's possible. I don't mind the collar idea, as you can see that's how the old one was done, but since it's in the house I wouldn't mind something fancier. Maybe building compartment lids is a good way to go.

If you have any suggestions or pictures please post them.

Cheers!

R.I.P Kegerator
image.php

Yeah, you'd have to do quite a bit of research into the drawer slides. The alternative would be to use pneumatic hinges (like those used on an SUVs back door) to provide some lift assistance. I've seen a coffin on here that used them.

If you keep with the IKEA inspired design, you could use the pneumatics to assist with pulling the keezer out. I find it easier to push stuff than pull it.

The keezer that I based my design on (BrewPastors) was a split top. The Coffin didn't tip, just the front part. Then you wouldn't have to roll it at all.

Cheers!
:mug:

I like the coffin top! That just might do it. Did you still build a collar to attach the new top? What kind of hinges did you use? Any advice on insulation?

I might have to draw up some plans, I really like that design. I'd like to get 8 taps on this beast (one hopefully being a nitro). I think the design would well accommodate a lot of taps. Plus it keeps the taps out of the way of any little ones.

Thanks, I built 2 collars, 1 covering about a third of the top with the coffin box on top and the other side just has a plywood top covered with maple trim and black masonite inserts. The freezer lid was so big it had three hinges on the back. The left hinge just holds the coffin box section in place, while the other two are attached to the lid collar.

I initially planned on insulating with foam insulating sheets, but then I figured the cool air would drop to the bottom of the keezer, so I haven't bothered.
Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back