Keeping fit/slim/combating weight gain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
How many of you gained weight after starting to brew? Did you lose it? Do you maintain? Or do you constantly gain? How old are you and what is your exercise regiment?

I gained 15 pounds in the past year I started brewing. I have not been to the gym 5-6 days a week in a few years. I have recently started trying to jog 3 miles 3 times a week, but my knee starts to kill me. I will be trying hard to shed some weight before going to mexico. I am 26

You guys?

Im a beer reviewer and with that come weight gain if you are not careful. In the last 2-3 years ive put on close to 60 lbs! In the last month I have started a very strict diet/exercise program. Basically I do not drink during the work week and only have 2 beers on Friday night and Saturday. I work out MWF, I do 25 mins on an elliptical machine and a weight lifitng circuit that takes about 25 mins. I have lost close to 20 lbs. I basically eat plain oatmeal for breakfast with Stivia on it. For lunch a can of tuna over a salad and dinner is a veggie burger a light roll a banana and a yogurt. Keep in mind you have to splurge 1 day a week or you will go nuts. I usually save that for the weekend.

Yeah, I gained a lot of weight! Some of it was aging, I'm sure, and some of it was brewing/drinking so much beer. I'm 47.

I'm very active, though, and exercise. I did gain nearly 15 pounds in a couple of years, and started more carefully watching what I eat.

I've always been a healthy eater- I haven't had a doughnut in more than 25 years!- but now I'm really watching it. I weighed 135 six years ago, and last summer found myself close to 150. I'm back down to my "fighting weight", though.

I drink beer every single day, at least two sometimes three, and won't give that up so I've had to keep up some other things. Like food! (I'm kidding, really!) What I found is that I can only eat about 1700 calories a day. Three beers is about half of my daily calories, so I make every other thing I eat really count. I don't eat any junk food at all, and only eat calories that will provide nutrient dense benefits.

I guess what I'm saying is that I am making a choice here. I love my beer, and so I'm willing to give up some other things to have it and still be fit.

No beer during the week, exercise 5 days a week, watch what I eat every day. Weekends I'll have beer and/or wine; less healthy meals. Works for me.

Just turned 40 and somehow haven't gained a pound. I brew 10 gallons every other week.

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

I really watch what I eat & count calories, but that's because I race bicycles for fun. Ride about 5,000 miles/year on the road plus mountain bike & cyclocross in the fall. Prefer big beers & have about a case a week. I've actually lost a few pounds since I started brewing.

I'm about to be 32 and haven't noticed any difference since I started brewing. I have about two beers every night and sometimes more on the weekends. That being said, I've never really been much of a junk food eater. Not that I make any particular effort to eat healthy foods, they're just what I grew up with and what appeals to me. I am relatively active but not a gym freak. In fact, about the only time I gain any weight is when I start exercising.
Btw, i brew 6 gallon batches 2-3 times a month (have a milk stout mashing right now).

I workout 4 to 5 days a week for most weeks. I do a lot of cardio and lift weights. I also watch what I eat and portion size is key for me.

I have been able to maintain my weight for a long time with this type of regimen.

I workout 4 to 5 days a week for most weeks. I do a lot of cardio and lift weights. I also watch what I eat and portion size is key for me.

I have been able to maintain my weight for a long time with this type of regimen.

Years ago when I was single, I definitely cared more about my physique, as I was out on the prowl. I used to hit the gym 5 days a week and go hiking on weekends... ever since I have moved in with SWMBO, things are different, I also am working a job that makes it hard to work with going to the gym.

But you know what some say "I Made time to go to the gym"
There is always time. Its just a matter of time making it there. :p

Brewing beer has not really increased weight gain for me. I have been drinking moderately now and heavily in my younger days, since I was about 18 years old. If anything brewing beer has helped limit my consumption. I take time to taste my beer and enjoy it whereas in my younger days it was how much and how fast can I get it down. If I am feeling like I want to get wasted it takes about half of the alcohol that it use to before I tap out and go to sleep.

I have gone though some ups and downs with my weight and physical shape over the years. I do not think that beer has had a huge impact on my weight and health though. I was drinking more than I do now when I was in the best shape of my life and doing bodybuilding competitions.

Lately, I think the biggest factor that caused the ups and downs was my job. I was working 50 hours a week and spent all of that on my feet. It was hard for me to find the energy to workout, and the weekends I wanted nothing more than a good meal and beer. Luckily, I was let go from that job a few months ago so I have had a chance to relax. Once the SWMBO and I move and I get settled into a job, I am sure that I will get back into a good exercise routine.

I know exactly how you feel. In the past year that I've been brewing I've gained about 20 lbs. Just recently I started running 3-4 times a week and am doing P90 when I can. I use to drink a few beer just about everyday, but now I try to limit the amount on the weekdays and watch what I eat. I'm 24 and trying to slim back down and lose this beer gut. I'm getting married in Nov. so I need to do something before the honeymoon in Jamaica. I think the lack of exercise compared to when I was younger has really slowed my metabolism down. I think if you just make an effort to watch you food intake and hit the gym a few times a week you should be ok.

I'm 29 and I weigh the same as I did 10 years ago when I first brewed. Unfortunately, that's not a weight to brag about. When I was 21/22 I gained about 30 pounds because I had nothing better to do with my time and money other than hit the bars.

I didn't do anything to reverse that, except have kids (I certainly drink a lot less with them around). I imagine I would lose more if I cut out beer (it's about 3 per day right now), but I've always been fat, so it doesn't bother enough, I guess.

I lost about 55lbs 4 years ago. I've been brewing for 5 years. when I lost the weight, I totally cut my calories. I worked out a lot even when I was fat, but eating less and more cardio did the trick. Calories in and calories out. It's a simple formula. I also try not to drink that much if at all during the week.

I started brewing when I retired (2 1/2 years ago) and actually lost about 20 pounds. I think most of that was due to the fact that I am much more active now then while I was working, and I'm also eating better.

I'm 59, 6'2" and 175 lbs, a lot of that I attribute to genetics. I drink a few beers almost every day. I brew outside so take a hiatus from November to April...and I'm running low on inventory. :mug:

I drink almost every day, but I try my best to take off at least 2-3 days a week.

I work out 2-3 days a week, but I hit it hard. When I run, I run at least 3 miles, otherwise I do sprints. I usually mix in some sort of body weight exercises on run days. On non-run days, I hit the weights. I don't do overly heavy sets, I go for high reps, with speed and very little rest in between.

I've never been a junk food guy, which is a big help. Other than beer, I almost exclusively drink water or black coffee (no milk or sugar). I occasionally have fruit juice. I always try to get the right mix of whole grains and vegetables with my meals, and mostly eat lean meats.

Honestly, what hurt me more was a period of time where I was eating a ton of steak. My wife and I both love it, and before the baby, we could afford to eat it whenever we wanted, which sometimes meant 2 steak dinners at home, plus one at a restaurant every week. That was way worse than my drinking and cutting that out made a huge difference.

Lastly, I'm not a high gravity beer person. Drinking 3 nice session beers a night is a lot less calories than 3 imperials. Keep that in mind.

That said, I'm 5'8", 170 and 32 years old. I'll be very happy if I stay like this for the next 20 or so years at least.

P90x and a 2 year old doesn't leave time for drinking beer or sitting around! :mug:

9 days in and you're already claiming success? :p

I have noticed my beer intake declining a little during this current early morning workout regiment... still. 2-3 beers a night is generally a 500-700 calorie adder that doesn't help much. I eat a very balanced and overall a healthy diet...

Portions have always been the thing I struggle with.

One thing I have been really surprised at (noticed it once I bought BeerSmith) is the calories in homebrew. A 5-6% beer is like 250 calories at least! Is this an accurate number? How do the commercial breweries keep the cals down (Sam Adams BL is 160 for example)?

One thing I have been really surprised at (noticed it once I bought BeerSmith) is the calories in homebrew. A 5-6% beer is like 250 calories at least! Is this an accurate number? How do the commercial breweries keep the cals down (Sam Adams BL is 160 for example)?

I don't have beersmith, but I have heard this on other parts of the forums that most homebrews are LOADED with calories. I would imagine my double IPA has around 500 per 12 oz serving, which is just ridiculous. I wonder what makes home brews that much higher in caloric content than commercial stuff. . . :tank:

I don't have beersmith, but I have heard this on other parts of the forums that most homebrews are LOADED with calories. I would imagine my double IPA has around 500 per 12 oz serving, which is just ridiculous. I wonder what makes home brews that much higher in caloric content than commercial stuff. . . :tank:

Yeah, I am wondering the same thing. I really dont know why it would be.

Yeah, I am wondering the same thing. I really dont know why it would be.

Perhaps a HBT brewing expert can chime in on this?

By expert I mean super expert, as we are all experts on beer (in my humble opinion)

crazy to think about sometimes but I had a family member get pretty sick... stressed me way out. I went from 185 and in amazing shape to 160 and then to 210. Today I am back down to 175 and don't plan on losing or gaining again. I lost it all by watching what I ate vs. exercising. You could exercise 3 hours a day, but if you eat crap, you wont lose anything.

When you get high gravity beers its almost like liquid bread... what the monks used to drink. 1oz of pure alcohol alone has 190 calories.... plus all the carbs!

I'm not sure I'm an expert, but I was too interested in the answer.

This has some of Charlie Bamforth's listed:
http://books.google.com/books?id=-F...esnum=8&ved=0CFEQ6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q&f=false

They list beer as having 0-61g of total carbohydrates/L. So it must vary based on style.

Guinness has 5.7g carbs/Pint. 1 pint is 0.47L so that is 12g carb/L.
this equals 48 cal/L, just from carbs
Total calories: 446 cal/L
48/446= 10.7% of Guiness calories are from carbs, the rest is from the alcohol.

Bass pale ale 1.1g carb/ounce = 17.6g/pint = 37.4g carb/L

149.6cal/L from carbs
Total calories 374 cal/L
so 149.6/374 = 40% of Bass calories are from carbs, the rest is from alcohol.

My assumption is there little else in beer that is worth calories other than the carbs and the alcohol.

My point here: Your calories laden homebrew is like that because of the alcohol content, and not so much from the carbohydrate content. Relatively speaking, beer is a carbohydrate poor food (although some styles of beer have significantly more carbohydrates than other beers, see example above).

Hope this helps.

I gained weight, but it was not directly related to brewing. In fact, today is the Five Month Anniversary of me going back to my daily exercise routine, and in those five months, I've lost 40 pounds.

Someone else mentioned the simple fact earlier that weight gain/loss is simply a matter of calories in/calories out. If you put more calories in than you use, you will gain weight. If you use more than you put in, you will lose weight.

I had a heart attack about 10 years ago, and after all was said and done, I went on a weight loss/exercise program. I went from 238 pounds to 195 pounds, and I'm 6'2" tall. For whatever reason, I stopped the workouts, and the weight went back on.

Last summer, my oldest daughter was married. When I saw the wedding photos, I looked like I swelled up from an anaphylactic reaction! I was up in the 260's! Today, I weigh 214 pounds. I do drink daily, but I drastically reduced the number of calories going in. I feel better and have more energy.

I pedal a recumbant stationary bike seven miles a day. While pedaling, I do some arm and shoulder exercises using wrist and hand weights. I also use an "ab-lounger" and a gazelle, along with some leg work with a pilates ball. My routine takes me about 45 minutes a day, but since I am retired, I have the time. My goal: to be in the best shape I've ever been in on my 65th birthday, which is in October.

glenn514:mug:

For me it helps to set weight limits and weigh myself frequently. If for example it's 180 pounds then don't go over 180 pounds...period. If you do, immediate action must be taken to get back below the limit (skip a meal, no beer, etc).

For me it helps to just skip lunch every work day (and no snacks)...I know I'll be drinking those calories later. Weekends have a more unpredictable nature so I often eat lunch then. This works if you're a lazy ass like me and don't want to exercise.

193.8lbs 5'10", 36" sexy waist.

I clean pools so I get lots of exercise. I drag a 200+lb pool cleaning cart and even with tires it's still a tough pull. Then I get tons of work brushing, netting, lifting and bending. Not to mention I move fast so by the end of a pool I'm breathing heavy.

Gym time is negligible, maybe 2-3 days a week, I use to be lighter back when I went through Fire Academy but my work capacity is probably twice that now.

I don't eat junk food, I don't drink regular soda and when I go out I eat half and bring half home for breakfast. Enchiladas at 5am are AWESOME. Beer wise I try to keep to a 6 pack or less per week, which is mandatory since I only buy once a month now and when doing lagers it's a long wait.

luckily in my case, I got into reviewing beer about 1 year ago, and that was 2 years after I started cutting myself down. I was 305 in 2008 and I am now 195. I am doing a powerlifting program right now, and I track everything I eat. Currently doing a maintenance diet, on lifting days I eat over maintenance and dont drink at all. And on my off days I eat much lower carbs and higher protein and fats around 2000 cals those days, and then I drink 3 beers regardless of alcohol content. Havent gained anything since I started doing this recently.

I even was cutting down weight with beer in my diet last year after I finished up gaining weight on purpose. So with moderation and smart eating habits you can definitely lose weight and not give up the brew. Its all about calorie balance, regardless of what you may hear from other sources.

the result of 3 years of college, and habits of overeating throughout my life
2992502orig.jpg

beginning of January, sporting my Hoppin Frog t-Shirt I got from going to the brewery
16779751649140147315420.jpg

:mug:

the fact that good beer is costing me about 1/4 of what it used to cost me is a double edged sword for sure ... I know I'm drinking more than I use to because I can afford it .. and I've been avoiding the scales lately ... I think the thing for me is going to have to be getting out and running at least a mile for every pint of beer I drink ... I actually like to run ... I am just going to need to run a lot more than I have been if I'm going to have a few beers every day, as I so enjoy doing right now ... homebrew is too cheap and too good ... dangit !!!

I started brewing about 1 year ago. In that time I have gained about 12 lbs (6'1" 222 lbs). I drink at least one beer 6 days a week, more on the weekend (probably average 15-20 beers/week). I know that beer has played a role, but I have also been in the office much more than out in the field, went from playing basketball 4-5 days a week to 2-3 days, and have generally been more lazy about my eating habits.

I am trying to limit my beer consumption. Right now I am on day 4 of my "no beer during the week" trial. I want to go two or three weeks and see how I feel. Then I'm hoping to get back into the gym, and adding another day to my bball schedule. And I'm also back to counting calories, although I always seem to fall off the wagon as far as that is concerned (and end up gorging on mcdonalds big macs while rocking back and forth nervously in the corner of a dark room).

I was an exercise nut well before I started homebrewing, and every summer play semi-competitive sports. I naturally swing 5-10 pounds from summer to winter based on the change in activity.
My first year seriously brewing i did notice a higher gain in weight during my off-season, but took some steps to counteract that and have been back to my normal cycle since.

Tips:
1) Have your beer with dinner, and cut the dinner portion down to compensate (you'll still feel full from the beer so won't notice having less food).
2) Beer is a 'fast carb'... Without going into too much detail, your body will process it from energy into fat quickly. Counter that by drinking when you exercise when your body is in energy deficit so less beer becomes fat (i.e. Right after a workout, unless you can stomach working out with a belly full of beer... I can't). Avoid night-caps or after dinner beers, because then your body already has a good energy store and isn't expending much, so it all goes to fat.
3) Add soluble fiber to your diet. Oatmeal is a good source of this (dried oats like granola & cereals work, but are less effective). Soluble fiber helps prevent your body from absorbing some types of fats. Remember not to just "add" it to your diet, replace something else otherwise you're worse off!

The above are pretty easy steps and helped me out. But nothing is a substitute for exercise & controlling your overall diet. Find an exercise you enjoy and are motivated to do: running, swimming, cycling, powerlifting, yoga, sports... (if you have kids, something you can do with them like coaching their sports teams).
If you increase your exercise you'll naturally try to eat more, so remember exercise alone won't get you all the way there.

There's tons of books / advise on weight control and plenty of commercial & non-commercial programs to help. But I'll chime in with others above to say there's no reason you can't enjoy beer and remain fit, you just have to commit to those being priorities.

I was overweight to start with, but my weight has stayed pretty consistent since I started brewing.

I usually have two or three beers a night, weekends included. This hasn't changed since I started brewing my own. I don't eat breakfast and my lunch consists of a single serving bag of popcorn and an apple (I usually skip the popcorn). No junk food, no soda, no snacking, no fruit juice, no bread, etc.. I do love some V8, but I generally only get a 64 oz bottle once every other month and that lasts me about a week. Supper is either nothing, a can of tuna salad, a package of ramen, or just vegetables with dressing if they are fresh, with salt and garlic if they are cooked. On Fridays my wife and I have a good meal that is usually not that great for us. (Not horrible.. Just not diet food. A steak dinner or pasta salad or stir fry.. That kind of stuff.) I certainly don't exercise as much as I should. I have a sedentary job but my wife and I walk about a mile every night during the week, assuming the weather isn't horrible. I rarely, if ever, go to the gym anymore. We used to go every day, but after about two months of it I decided that I'd rather shoot myself then keep that up. We try to go once a week now, but that hasn't happened for about a month.

The only way I could lose weight at this point would be to cut out beer and, based on how little I have to enjoy in food, I'll be damned if that's going to happen. Hopefully the fact that my caloric intake each day hovers around 1000 will help me drop the weight over time. I'm not going to hold my breath, though, since I have been at this diet for around two months now and have lost around 8 pounds and that was just in the first month.

I was overweight to start with, but my weight has stayed pretty consistent since I started brewing.

I usually have two or three beers a night, weekends included. This hasn't changed since I started brewing my own. I don't eat breakfast and my lunch consists of a single serving bag of popcorn and an apple (I usually skip the popcorn). No junk food, no soda, no snacking, no fruit juice, no bread, etc.. I do love some V8, but I generally only get a 64 oz bottle once every other month and that lasts me about a week. Supper is either nothing, a can of tuna salad, a package of ramen, or just vegetables with dressing if they are fresh, with salt and garlic if they are cooked. On Fridays my wife and I have a good meal that is usually not that great for us. (Not horrible.. Just not diet food. A steak dinner or pasta salad or stir fry.. That kind of stuff.) I certainly don't exercise as much as I should. I have a sedentary job but my wife and I walk about a mile every night during the week, assuming the weather isn't horrible. I rarely, if ever, go to the gym anymore. We used to go every day, but after about two months of it I decided that I'd rather shoot myself then keep that up. We try to go once a week now, but that hasn't happened for about a month.

The only way I could lose weight at this point would be to cut out beer and, based on how little I have to enjoy in food, I'll be damned if that's going to happen. Hopefully the fact that my caloric intake each day hovers around 1000 will help me drop the weight over time. I'm not going to hold my breath, though, since I have been at this diet for around two months now and have lost around 8 pounds and that was just in the first month.

You basically don't eat until dinner, and then sometimes you skip that?! Besides the fact that I could never ever do that (I'm usually at 13-1500 calories by 1 PM), I don't think its very healthy to diet like this. You would be better spreading out the calories over the course of a day. I have read that 5 small meals is better that 2 big ones.

So start drinking a beer for breakfast!

You basically don't eat until dinner, and then sometimes you skip that?! Besides the fact that I could never ever do that (I'm usually at 13-1500 calories by 1 PM), I don't think its very healthy to diet like this. You would be better spreading out the calories over the course of a day. I have read that 5 small meals is better that 2 big ones.

So start drinking a beer for breakfast!

A beer for breakfast sounds good.. They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day.:)

I have tried having a bunch of small meals, but I tend to be constantly hungry when I do that. So long as I don't eat, I don't feel hungry. That and it's hard to spread a can of tuna and an apple out over 5 meals.

I've tried any number of methods of eating and the best I can hope for is to maintain my weight. The only way I have found to actively lose weight is to cut my calories rather extremely. Admittedly, I could eat more if I cut out beer. But I like beer more than most foods so most of my nutrients are gained through a multi-vitamin.

Regardless, this post is off-topic so... [/hijack].

After getting back from a tour in Iraq, and getting married, I was within 5 lbs of being "overweight" according to military standard. Although no longer enlisted, I was rather surprised. I've been thin my whole life, able to eat whatever I wanted, whenever, with no effect. Seems marriage = instant metabolism killer.

Anyway, I have a rather sedentary job working at a test bench all day. I've been able to drop over 10 lbs just by making healthier choices when it comes to good.

More vegetables, limiting red meat, avoiding junk food, etc. I have not increased exercise one bit, nor have I limited portions, although I know that they will both be required if/when I plateau.

Back