Keeping bottle conditioning temp constant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CousinDave

Reaction score
I keep my house on the cool side, so getting my bottled beer up to 70 degrees and keeping it there was a problem.
Enter craigtube and the idea of using Christmas tree lights interwoven round the the bottles for warmth.
I know a lot of you guys think he's a goof, but it works.
I found a string of Tabasco chili pepper lights the wife bought years ago and now my bottles are conditioning at a toasty 70 degrees.
Cheers.

I've always been concerned about too much direct exposure to light will skunk the beer. You don't have a furnace room or water heater area that is relatively warm, especially if you lift them off the floor, like on paint cans. It doesn't have to be perfectly close to 70, or even pretty stable if you just understand/realize it simply might take longer than the roughly 3 weeks @ 70 we talk about.

I've often wondered if it's the type of light that matters? Florescent is closest to sunlight,so that's out. But the small (non-led) lights Craig uses I wouldn't think would have that kind of effect,or at least,not to the same degree,being incandescent light. Craig insists it won't harm the beer. I think it's due to the type of light.?...:drunk:

Both the furnace and the water heater are in the garage and it's even cooler out there.
I keep my house at 68 when I'm home, dropping to 64 at night and when I'm at work.
Even getting them off the floor, inclosed in a tub and wrapped in a blanket, they still hovered around 64 degrees.

If you have a good area around your backside of the refrigerater or above You can get a good 70 degrees. I dont use it because i have a pipline so i keep them in a closet around 65.Ive had em carb in a week but taste best over 4 weeks but still good.

Both the furnace and the water heater are in the garage and it's even cooler out there.
I keep my house at 68 when I'm home, dropping to 64 at night and when I'm at work.
Even getting them off the floor, inclosed in a tub and wrapped in a blanket, they still hovered around 64 degrees.

Man my blood is so thin after 47 years in Hawai`i that I'd die if I had to live at those temperatures. :fro:

Man my blood is so thin after 47 years in Hawai`i that I'd die if I had to live at those temperatures. :fro:

65-75F in a bedroom should work fine
Leave them undistirbed for 3-4 weeks

Back