Keep your cider in the dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DxS12

Reaction score
Hi Homebrewers,

I just started my first cider brew. Should I cover my carboy with something (like a sweater) to keep it in the dark or does that not matter for cider?

Follow up question - I used a single packet of Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast for a 2.5 gallon fermentation. It's .176 oz or 5 grams. Is that enough, too much, or too little?

Since there's no hops in there to get skunked by the light, it's not critical with a cider as far as I know.

5g for 2.5 gallons is fine. Be aware that wine yeast will dry your cider out pretty far (under 1.000) and make it very tart. Are you planning to back-sweeten it? I prefer the results I get with Nottingham dry ale yeast in a cider.

I had my cider sitting on a table that was near a window that had sunlight hit it for several months. But it was winter in the pacific northwest, I did keep the curtains closed and if available I would stack boxes next to the carboy. The cider tastes great, I used a packet of EEC-118 or whatever its called for 6 gal.

One packet of Yeast should be sufficient for 5 gallons of Cider, so you doubled up...that isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it means that it will ferment to completion faster than it would otherwise.
This is likely to result in a less nuanced flavor. Cider optimally ferments slowly so the volatile flavor compounds don't get blown away by the rapid fermentation.
All that said, it will probably still taste good if you started with good cider.
Good luck, let us know how it comes out.

Back