Keep On Hailing to the Redskins, you P.C. DBs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why I generically quoted you and I understand what you are saying. I've just seen the argument before.

The courts do not decide issues of political policy such as Darfur and violence in the middle east. I'm not sure why this is deemed a waste of time.

If this case has no merit and common sense should prevail, then why all of the legal foot dragging? This could be summarily dismissed on the merits if what the owners are contending is to believed.

I'm of the opinion that Washington could stand to make a one-time windfall with last minute purchases of the old name merch and with the first year of the new. I actually think that ultimately that is what they want (the ownership) and they would like nothing better than to blame someone else for making them do it.

To me the difference is in intention of the nickname when given. Redskins, to me, means a bad ass mutha on a horse who will kick your ass and take your hair. The concept of badassedness equates well to the game of football, and I think that's the way the name was intended originally. A Redskin was someone to be afraid of, an unstoppable force.

The team names you have listed above have no bearing on their sport, and are purely derogatory in nature. Should we be taken aback by the wicked slider of the Beaners pitching staff? Probably not. Now, if you named the team after slang term for an Aztec warrior, the connotations would be entirely different. The nickname would be intended to convey that the team is a force to be reckoned with, not just a racial slur.

I agree with you that the term Redskins was intended to represent strength...but that was by a bunch of football playing white guys in the 30s. Obviously, they didn't care that the term might be offensive and there was probably nobody around to tell them otherwise. However, altough you and I can see it as a term of endearment...the target of that racial term doesn't seem to agree.

name a team whatever the hell you want. if people don't like it they wont show up. let the people decide. it seems like everyone is offended by something, and instead of jsut not giving these people their money they go for the killing blow.

:off:How do all of you skins fans feel about Coach Zorn? I have actually met him a few times and was a huge fan when I was a kid. He's a good guy but a little preachy, not sure how that will go over in the locker room.

I got what I wanted in a coach; young, unproven, and hungry. At the time of the hiring, I was just happy it wasn't Fassel. Now, I remain cautiously optimistic. I like his interviews and what little footage that I've seen. I believe that he has the players and personnel in place to succeed. There is a rumor that he is an interim coach for Cower next year. I hope that this is not the case.

olllllo said:
XL: My point is that I believe that the name does legtimately offend some people. Whether that should result in a lawsuit is not and should not be decided on a popularity vote.

Well said.:mug:

olllllo said:
I'm of the opinion that Washington could stand to make a one-time windfall with last minute purchases of the old name merch and with the first year of the new. I actually think that ultimately that is what they want (the ownership) and they would like nothing better than to blame someone else for making them do it.

Unfortunately, I can't dispute this, as much as I'd like to. I wouldn't put it past Snyder to plan such a gimmick. And of course, the fans would do just what you describe.:mad:

The courts do not decide issues of political policy such as Darfur and violence in the middle east. I'm not sure why this is deemed a waste of time.

That wasn't my point, I never said that the courts could change a thing in Darfur or Zimbabwe. My point was, all the time and money that is being spent on this issue (I'm sure there are some lawyers making a pretty penny on it) could have been spent on some actual suffering...and that, in perspective, the [possibly offensive] name of a sports team seems pretty goddamned trivial. That's why I deem it a waste of time (and money).

So Daniel Snyder should quit foot dragging and let the case be heard, then we can all spend money on the issues you deem important.

pshaw. :rolleyes: just my damn opinion. I'm not forcing anyone to do a thing, nor am I vain enough to think anyone's gonna base what they do on what I think. just voicin' my 'pinion. you disagree, cool, but there's no need to begrudge me for having an opinion on the matter.

So what about the Yankees isn't that a derogatory term...how bout the unlv rebels...you know what given how a lot of the people of our great country are now....why don't we have team named the Pansies or the Cry Babies...think about how many people would whine about those teams.....The day someone says something or names a team or store something that offends me enough to publicly cry about it...I'll kick my own ass, cause obviously I won't have anything better to do and would need an ass kicking to adjust my self confidence!!!

I dunno Evan!, I mean if I were to get my Evan! playbook out and I didn't know that you were a Skins fan, I'd think it'd go down something like this:

Evan!Simulation1 said:
If Dan Snyder wants to name his team the "The Washington Fire in a Crowded Theater Ass Flaming Lesbo Tahitians" and demands that everyone plays in Black Face then the libertarian in me says, "Hells Yes, Freedom!!! You go you crazy goat F*cker!", but in fact he would really be a ****** 'cause it ain't right to base your empire on the downtrodding of those with the skin browner than yours.

So he has the right, but he's a *****ie.

With apologies... not sure if you're a small or big L libertarian.

I dunno Evan!, I mean if I were to get my Evan! playbook out and I didn't know that you were a Skins fan, I'd think it'd go down something like this:

With apologies... not sure if you're a small or big L libertarian.

Wow, you hit the nail on the head. I'm not that predictable, am I :p;)

And yes, I do have technical misgivings about that "simulation" here based solely on the fact that, since the NFL takes money from the public coffers to build some of its stadiums, it is, in a way, a ward of the State, so it's not as cut and dried as it'd seem.

See, I'm not completely unreasonable. :p

Remember when we used to talk about beer?? :cross:

I been talkin beer all day, answerin' n00b questions, layin' down the law on fermentation temps and oxygenation and sanitation and all that noise.

Sometimes a brother needs some time off from the beer talk.

I would actually love to see a team in LA called the Beaners. Imagine that, a team that's claim to fame is trying to injure the other players by hitting em in the head with a baseball.

But that negative connotation is obviously no longer attached to this team and its name as it stands.

Yeah, calling someone a red-skin is as offensive now as it was back then. Besides, did you see the way they played ... I think they're more offended by being associated with the organization than with the slur. :D

You know, I've been watching and waiting for the last couple of days trying to figure out what to say here. I am Native American - not 100% - but with substantial native blood.

I've tried to get all worked up and indignant about the use of the R-word - but can't. I guess after having survived the white man's attempted genocide on our race we have better things to worry about - like our communities. Long gone are the days of the smallpox infected blankets and rotting meat we were given after being driven off our ancestrial land.

Maybe the Jews will one day grow up (in about 50-75 years) and let bygones be bygones and we can start a NFL expansion team - Hartford Hebes, or the Kentucky Fightin' Kikes.:p

Seriously though, it is insensitive, but most people seem to have better things to do with their time then get butt-hurt. Not that I have any authority to speak for other Native Americans...

edit: http://www.iearn.org/hgp/aeti/aeti-1997/native-americans.html

Latest posts

Back