Kansas City water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csh

Reaction score
(repost from the all-grain section)

I just received the results from a Ward Labs water report for my tap water and am sharing them for anyone out north in Kansas City. I live by the airport, Zona Rosa, etc... Green Hills and MO-152. I've seen the KCMO water water quality report for 2012 and the data from this Ward Labs report is pretty close.

Ward Labs - 12 Dec 2013:

pH - 9.3
Total dissolved solids. ppm - 359
Elec. Conductivity, mmho/cm - 0.60
Cations/Anions, me/L - 5.7 / 6.4

ppm
Sodium, Na - 71
Potassium, K - 6
Calcium, Ca - 37
Magnesium, Mg - 7
Total Hardness, CaC03 - 112
Nitrate, NO3-N - 0.9
Sulfate, SO4-S - 73 (multiply by 3 to get SO4 == 219)
Chloride, Cl - 27
Carbonate, CO3 - 9
Bicarbonate, HCO3 - 41
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 - 49
Total Phosphorus, P - 0.19
Total Iron, Fe - 0.01

I measure my mash water pH at 9.15 - 9.2 pretty consistently.

I know that in KC we have pretty good water for most brewing. Because of that, I haven't gone to RO. My only addition is 1/8 ts potassium metabisulfate per 6-8 gallons mash water to reduce chlorine. Do I even need it?

Correct my assumptions below:
High sulfate (219) is good for hoppy beers
Low chloride (27) is good for hoppy beers
High sodium (71) is good for malty beers

When I plug the water report into the EZ water calc spreadsheet, I end up with a mash PH about 5.7, a bit above the 5.4-5.6 recommended range.

I'd like to understand what sort of changes I should make in order to have good results for hoppy beers (2xIPA) and malty beers (Bass, Fat Tire, stout). How about for dark strong / tripel Belgians?

Chris.

The somewhat elevated sodium is neither good or bad. I wouldn't add any more sodium in most brews. The sulfate is well suited for hoppy and dry beers, but its too much for malty beers. That water will have to be diluted for lighter and maltier styles.

The mash pH prediction is typical. Adding a bit of acid to the mash is often needed and this case is no exception.

If brewing with tap water, removing chlorine compounds is imperative. Keep using the metabisulfite.

(repost from the all-grain section)

I just received the results from a Ward Labs water report for my tap water and am sharing them for anyone out north in Kansas City. I live by the airport, Zona Rosa, etc... Green Hills and MO-152. I've seen the KCMO water water quality report for 2012 and the data from this Ward Labs report is pretty close.

Ward Labs - 12 Dec 2013:

pH - 9.3
Total dissolved solids. ppm - 359
Elec. Conductivity, mmho/cm - 0.60
Cations/Anions, me/L - 5.7 / 6.4

ppm
Sodium, Na - 71
Potassium, K - 6
Calcium, Ca - 37
Magnesium, Mg - 7
Total Hardness, CaC03 - 112
Nitrate, NO3-N - 0.9
Sulfate, SO4-S - 73 (multiply by 3 to get SO4 == 219)
Chloride, Cl - 27
Carbonate, CO3 - 9
Bicarbonate, HCO3 - 41
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 - 49
Total Phosphorus, P - 0.19
Total Iron, Fe - 0.01

I measure my mash water pH at 9.15 - 9.2 pretty consistently.

I know that in KC we have pretty good water for most brewing. Because of that, I haven't gone to RO. My only addition is 1/8 ts potassium metabisulfate per 6-8 gallons mash water to reduce chlorine. Do I even need it?

Correct my assumptions below:
High sulfate (219) is good for hoppy beers
Low chloride (27) is good for hoppy beers
High sodium (71) is good for malty beers

When I plug the water report into the EZ water calc spreadsheet, I end up with a mash PH about 5.7, a bit above the 5.4-5.6 recommended range.

I'd like to understand what sort of changes I should make in order to have good results for hoppy beers (2xIPA) and malty beers (Bass, Fat Tire, stout). How about for dark strong / tripel Belgians?

Chris.

I'm right in your back yard apparently. I'm right off Green Hills and Barry. I've never added anything to the water and haven't had any complaints or problems. Then again I'm just moving to all grain and might need to rethink this when dealing with the added amount of water (vs extract).

Thread revival here. Those numbers very close to the 2013 numbers too.

However, I think there is a difference between Chlorine and Chloride. The city reports on chlorine levels and the campden tablet/ metabisulfate is important for that. The city does NOT report chloride levels and I am thankful you posted your results. It helps with my brewers friend numbers.

Lastly, still thinking about a filter to try to standardize the flavor. There multiple times throughout the year we get algea blooms or dirt(?) flavored water. I would like to run that through some charcoal and then treat with campden. Sounds like only thing to really worry about is to dilute for my stouts then.

(edit, actually the city report says "chloride chloramine levels" so I guess it could be either and the 24hr rest wont air out the chloramine.)

Thanks for posting....you are super close to me..finally got around to buying a PH meter and starting to really try to understand water chemistry. I've always filtered my water and added a campden tablet and that seems to be doing well for me...My IPA's have won multiple awards...but I've yet to make a really good dark beer and I've come to the conclusion I need to fix my water chemistry to deal with the darker malts. Any recommendations out there on using this water profile?

David

Latest posts

Back