Kansas City Homebrew Scene

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schemy

Reaction score
I will be moving to the Kansas City area sometime around the first part of September. Wanted to get a feel for the homebrew scene in KC. Any good LHBS to look for? Any homebrew clubs in the area that are fun? Good beer bars? I've been brewing off and on for about 7 years, recently had my homebrewing rebirth here in Omaha.

Also anyone have leads on nice places to live in Johnson County, KS that would be great.

Thanks

Also, before I forget. One of the things you must do is travel 30miles down the road to Lawrence, KS and go to FreeState Brewery. It is one of the best micro-breweries in the midwest. Well worth the short trip. Great food and Amazing Beer!!!!
KC has alot of great beer places such as the Flying Saucer, 75th Street Brewery, Barley's Brewhaus, and WaldoPizza!

You MUST also go about 30-40 mins NE of KC and visit Weston, MO! It's a small Irish town and home of O'MALLEY'S PUB!! It's a nice micro brewery with a bar in a cave about six floors underground! You have to go down this long ramp to get to it but well worth it! Epic microbrews and just about the best atmosphere you'll ever find in a bar. Everything is made of sturdy hardwood and it's perfectly acceptable to bang your mug on the table and sing along to the tune of whatever song the Irish band is playing. I've even seen drunken people dancing on them, and they weren't kicked out, they were given applause!

If you can't tell I love that place! Good luck getting a room there for St. Patts day though. They fill up YEARS in advance!

There's also an awesome winery there with free tastings. Then you can buy a few bottles and some cheese and sit in the gardens and enjoy it.

I don't know about many of the other homebrewers in the area, but I do know that Bachhus has a nice selection of grains and are pretty friendly. Have never been to the Homebrew Pro Shoppe or met with the club.

I'm sure you've already sampled Tallgrass but you need MOAR!

Free state is good too. Oh, and plenty of boulevard.

Anyhow, thats the craft beer scene, I've heard of their (big) HB club, the biermeisters but don't know any of the guys, never been to their events.

There are three HBS's that I know of, two in your 'soon to be' neck of the woods and one in North Kansas City.
Bacchus & Barleycorn
Homebrew Pro Shoppe
E.C. Kraus - up north.
There's another one, an online upstart I saw on here a few days ago, www.apexbrewwares.com. I don't think they have a storefront.

I think www.kcbiermeisters.org is the only local brew club. I haven't been out to any of their meetings yet but I am planning on attending in July to see what it's all about!

Good luck in your move!

I'm a member of the KC Biermeisters, and can definitely recommend them. Its a great group of brewers at all levels. We tied for 10th place in the recent National Homebrewers Competition. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

KC does have a good homebrew scene as well as a steadily growing craft beer scene. We're not up to STL standards yet but we're progressing nonetheless.

I've never been to the Lhbs up north but between Homebrew Pro Shoppe and Bacchus and Barleycorn I will vote for Bacchus all day long. Steep prices though.

I've never been to any of the Biermeisters meetings, which is odd since they meet less than a mile from my apartment. I'll have to check them out this summer.

Welcome to KC!

Thanks for the info guys. For those local to KC, I'll hit you up when I get down there and maybe share a beer or six.

Thanks for the info guys. For those local to KC, I'll hit you up when I get down there and maybe share a beer or six.

Sounds good! I prefer Bacchus, but as previously mentioned, they're a little more expensive. But, on the other hand, they have better selection, and turn their stock over more.

Welcome to KC, let us know once you've got the kegerator filled! :ban:

+1 more for bacchus. I drive down from Maryville every so often to go there. I was born in Omaha and visit often, I'll tell you homebrew is easier in KC due to LHBSs I know of.

Back