Kansas City Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
Going to Kansas City next week and I'm wondering if there's any beers I should look for out there that we can't get in St.Louis,MO?????

Do you have KC Bier in STL? They are a german brewery around the Waldo area. Also Cinder Block brewery is small but very good. Cinder Block is right in the middle of town, what part will you be in?

Haven't heard of either one of those.
We will be staying just south of union station/crown plaza

Yeah, Cinder Block is only 6 miles north of there, you should for sure check it out. They have a food truck that stops by there that sells BBQ too. The pulled pork nachos are unbelievable.... I know that might not sound good, but wow.

http://cinderblockbrewery.com/

Go downtown man, tons of better places there. KC Bier Co is good. I'd honestly skip 75th, they're ok but much better options out there. Both are just kinda out of the way if you're downtown. But Waldo Pizza is down there, which is amazing.

Border Brewing, Torn Label, Cinder Block, Double Shift.. those are all within 1 mile of each other... Boulevard is also close by just down off Southwest Blvd. Awesome tasting room, and they have a KC only sour on tap right now called Show Me Sour.

Also food, if you wanna stay right there Town Topic is phenomenal, also Grinder's Pizza. Both also within that 1 sq mile area.

I would suggest BBQ places but I'm sure you have plenty of those in STL.

If you like good coffee, Thou Mayest and PT's Coffee are both real close to all of that. Quay is up in the city market which is only 5 mins away or so. All amazing cafes.

If you want any more specific suggestions feel free to PM me with where exactly you'll be and I'll make sure you find some great places. Lived here my whole life, and I love this city.

Go downtown man, tons of better places there. KC Bier Co is good. I'd honestly skip 75th, they're ok but much better options out there.

Border Brewing, Torn Label, Cinder Block, Double Shift.. those are all within 1 mile of each other... Boulevard is also close by just down off Southwest Blvd. Awesome tasting room, and they have a KC only sour on tap right now called Show Me Sour.

Also food, if you wanna stay right there Town Topic is phenomenal, also Grinder's Pizza. Both also within that 1 sq mile area.

I would suggest BBQ places but I'm sure you have plenty of those in STL.

Thanks for the recommendations!! I'll for sure check out a few of the ones you listed. Just have to do day time trips due to my wife and two young kids being with me.
I work in the BBQ industry ( Louis Maull Co. aka: MAULLS BBQ Sauce ) so I'm all about some good eats!! Planning on hitting Joe's of KC and then was going to ask locals and try to find one of those off the grid jewels.

Oh man go to Gates (12th and Brooklyn) and Arthur Bryant's (18th and Brooklyn). Those are the originals. Joe's is great, but Gates and Bryant's have them beat. Definitely hit them during the daytime though, lol...

Also, I made a mistake. I should have known better but Cinder Block you may wanna skip it's actually not downtown. It's way up in northtown. Not super far away but theres nothing else really up there worth the trip. Plus you can get their beers all over the place, no need to go to the brewery.

Too bad I'm gonna be out of town next week or else I'd offer to buy ya a beer. Maybe next time! :mug:

+1 to the Boulevard tour; it's a good time and you get free samples of the beers in their tasting room. It is very close to where you are staying.

For going to have a few pints, I really like Cinder Block, 75th St, and KC Bier Co - I live south of KC, so I haven't gotten around to trying some of the others that people have mentioned.

Everyone has their favorite BBQ place that they swear by here, but honestly I think every KC BBQ place that I have tried has been great. However, I pretty much stick to Joe's KC because they have a location close to my house, or Hayward's Pit BBQ because they are right next to work.

It's too bad that you're not coming in about a month - we have 3 different homebrew fests on back-to-back weekends: Craft Beer Festival of the Lost Township (9/5 - Raytown, MO - 1st year), Brewtopia (9/12 - Inpendence, MO - also 1st year), and High Plains Brewhoff (9/19 - Overland Park, KS - 2nd year). I am one of the crazy people that signed up to serve at all 3....

Cinder Block is my favorite, followed by KC Bier Co. Torn Label is OK, haven't been impressed with Double Shift and Border.

+1 to the Boulevard tour; it's a good time and you get free samples of the beers in their tasting room. It is very close to where you are staying.

For going to have a few pints, I really like Cinder Block, 75th St, and KC Bier Co - I live south of KC, so I haven't gotten around to trying some of the others that people have mentioned.

Everyone has their favorite BBQ place that they swear by here, but honestly I think every KC BBQ place that I have tried has been great. However, I pretty much stick to Joe's KC because they have a location close to my house, or Hayward's Pit BBQ because they are right next to work.

It's too bad that you're not coming in about a month - we have 3 different homebrew fests on back-to-back weekends: Craft Beer Festival of the Lost Township (9/5 - Raytown, MO - 1st year), Brewtopia (9/12 - Inpendence, MO - also 1st year), and High Plains Brewhoff (9/19 - Overland Park, KS - 2nd year). I am one of the crazy people that signed up to serve at all 3....

Seems like I'm always a day late and a dollar short when I go out of town. All the fun stuff is either just over or happening the next week! [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

That Boulevard tour really is good. The guides are awesome and the facility is super nice.

I just scratched Boulevard off the list of things to do a couple days ago. I've done lots of tours around here in STL and I like it and all but more importantly I'm not head over heals for any one of their beers so that's why I scratched it but if I find that we have a hour or two free time maybe I'll head over and check it out.

Hmm...going to counter the Town Topic recommendation, their food is average bar food, been way too many times because co-workers want to go.

Grinders is good, but extremely loud if you are into that, when I say loud they deliberately beat the grill tongs and scrapers onto the grill the whole time. I still go because the food and on tap beer selection is pretty good.

Kinda off the grid BBQ, if you are headed north of the river for Cinder Block, then Smoking Guns is near by, they are my third top BBQ. Smokestack is my first, but they are not near any breweries. (Woo, start the KC BBQ flame wars!!!)

Are you asking for beer to buy in shops or for breweries? All the ones mentioned are breweries with some keg distribution. None have packaged beer in stores. So if you are doing a brewery tour kinda thing...midtown - borders, double shift, torn label all pretty close. Northland you have Big Rip (my favorite) and Cinder Block within a mile. KC Beir CO is kind of out of the way down south, but they are a very strict Rheinhiesgabot(?) brewery and it shows in some good beers. (They are on tap around town so you could get it that way too.

Good tap places with local stuff...Grinders, Tapcade, both in that mid town area. Green room is a little hole in the wall nano-brewer with guest taps and great burgers for the price. Beer Kitchen not so much local stuff, but higher end food.

LOL...sounds like we need to have a KC best places throwdown!

Hmm...going to counter the Town Topic recommendation, their food is average bar food, been way too many times because co-workers want to go.

Grinders is good, but extremely loud if you are into that, when I say loud they deliberately beat the grill tongs and scrapers onto the grill the whole time. I still go because the food and on tap beer selection is pretty good.

Kinda off the grid BBQ, if you are headed north of the river for Cinder Block, then Smoking Guns is near by, they are my third top BBQ. Smokestack is my first, but they are not near any breweries. (Woo, start the KC BBQ flame wars!!!)

Are you asking for beer to buy in shops or for breweries? All the ones mentioned are breweries with some keg distribution. None have packaged beer in stores. So if you are doing a brewery tour kinda thing...midtown - borders, double shift, torn label all pretty close. Northland you have Big Rip (my favorite) and Cinder Block within a mile. KC Beir CO is kind of out of the way down south, but they are a very strict Rheinhiesgabot(?) brewery and it shows in some good beers. (They are on tap around town so you could get it that way too.

Good tap places with local stuff...Grinders, Tapcade, both in that mid town area. Green room is a little hole in the wall nano-brewer with guest taps and great burgers for the price. Beer Kitchen not so much local stuff, but higher end food.

LOL...sounds like we need to have a KC best places throwdown!

Great stuff!!
And yes I'm looking for some retail beers ( IPA's ) that we don't have here. Something juicy,fruity,and delicious that I've never had that I can bring home to sip on. But I also want to try some local stuff that is in house only ya know.

How did this trip go??

It went really well. The kids had a blast and we did lots of family activities. Went to Lego Land, Sea Life Aquarium, Kaleidoscope, Deanna Ross children's farmstead and shopped at Country Club Plaza and Legends Outlet Mall.
Went to Grinders,Bier Kitchen, Joe's of KC, and T-Rex cafe at Legends Outlet Mall. Also found time to get over to Boulevard and do the Tour!! Yeah!! It was pretty cool. They were running a new beer they will be releasing in a couple weeks called Funky Pumpkin. And to top it off after the tour I caught our guide trying to slip by with a fresh 6'er off the line. Nope!! Not in my house!! Lol
So I chased him down and he was cool enough to crack one open and allow my wife and I to try it. It was pretty good. I've never had a sour before that day but I liked it. I think it will be a big seller.
All in all it was a productive 3 days and 2 nights in KC.

Back