Kabloom- blew off the airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efkrug

Reaction score
Soooo...Brewed a robust porter yesterday. Everything went smoothly. Pitched at 78. Rocking fermentation within 2 hours. Looked like it was really rocking 8 hrs later when I went to bed with pride...thought about a blow off tube but then thought..nah, it should be OK.

Woke up this AM to krausen everywhere including 6 feet straight up.
My question is, the fermenter was open for somewhere between 2-6 hours...I don't know when it blew. On closing it back up it is still rocking and I am actually having to work to keep the temps in the high 70s because its going storng enough that it wants to go higher (Have a blow off tube in now)
Any thoughts about the possibility that this batch survived without getting infected after being open that long? It probably was blowing CO2 out vigorously that whole time. Hate to dump it but if it's a lost cause...

Just reseal and let er ride. It's probably okay. If it turns out, you have yiur first batch of Kablooie!! Porter.

And, yes - pics, please!

Probably be OK. Only time will tell but definitely don't dump it. It's rocking most likely from the fermentation temps. Depending on the yeast you used, that's probably a bit too high. I fixed my temp problems 2 ways. First, always pitch to wort that is a couple degrees below your target fermentation temp. The other thing I did was to get a storage tub big enough to hold my fermenter and line it with foam egg crate like you get for mattresses. Then put ice bottles in there to control the temps (borrowing from the old days of using cold rooms and caves :) ). For porters I like to hold it in the mid 60's as much as possible It's best to keep the temps as close to optimal fermentation temp according to your yeast specs until fermentation begins to slow. Then it's OK if the temps climb a little. You don't want to yo-yo the temps though. better to start on the low end of the temp range of the yeast and hold it there or let it rise slowly during primary.
Anyway that's the way I do it.

This makes me feel a little better about my batch, and yet nervous. Lol. Glad that this is a common issue.

Will do thanks. Unfortunately my wife went into imediate clean up mode so all I have left is some roof tile staining.
Thanks again!

tile.jpg

Enlarge the holes in the top of the airlock, that will let the bits of Hops pass through without stopping it up and building pressure in the carboy.
Just about everyone here has a stain about like that

Made my first yeast starter on batch brewed 13 days ago. I had to fashion emergency blow off tube. It is a dead guys clone and i am fermenting in a cooler at 66 f. Still there is activity in fermentation. Fingers crossed as I have not had noticable activity this long before.

It is fine and most likely uninfected. If it is rolling along that strongly I seriously doubt anything bad can make it into the fermenter with the amount of CO2 offgassing and krausen. Congrats on joining the blowoff club.

Back