KAB4 Flame Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquidicem

I love lamp!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking about upgrading the regulator on my KAB4 burner. I'm a little tired of using 1/3 - 1/2 of a 20# propane tank every brew day.

Mine came with a 30 PSI fixed regulator with a needle valve after the regulator for flame control. I'm think on switching out the regulator to a 0-30 adjustable.

Would it still make sense to leave the needle valve in the system? Is the valve already providing me with the same benefit that an adjustable regulator would?

I'm also starting to look for a way to get the burner a little closer to the bottom of the keggle and building little better wind screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
30 PSI or not, your needle valve is only going to send the burner the amount of gas you allow it too. If it takes this much gas then it is your burner, outside temp, size of batch, ect.... that is the problem. I just don't think a reg is going to help you any.

Edit: Based on what I just read about the burner.......How are you using it? 210,000 BTU's is far more then mine.

The burner is highly over sized for what we do.

My thoughts n the regulator are that at a lower pressure the needle valve will give me a little more fine control on the low end. Right now at 30 psi I have to leave the air vent all the way open always and I think it's still burning a little rich, wasting fuel.

30 psi is the max output, which is throttled back by that needle valve. I don't think you will see any difference by changing the regulator. Are you sure the hose is connected tightly to the regulator and there are no other leaks in the setup? Mine was loose at the orifice when I bought it and there was a lot of wasted gas plus danger. I can turn my KAB4 burner down very low with the stock regulator, and it does not take much of a flame to maintain a 5g boil, and not much more to maintain a 10g boil either. I would look into your burner position, many users cut and reweld the supports for using kegs as kettles. (myself included)

The burner is highly over sized for what we do.

My thoughts n the regulator are that at a lower pressure the needle valve will give me a little more fine control on the low end. Right now at 30 psi I have to leave the air vent all the way open always and I think it's still burning a little rich, wasting fuel.

What I was leading into and what was mentioned by bendavanza. Is that what you asked about doing (Trading out a fixed reg W/needle valve for a adjustable reg) is the same thing. The fact that it is using a lot of fuel has to deal with other things then the reg. That's why I asked how you were using it. How many gallons are you brewing, ect...? There are lots of variables at hand. I understand the burner is over sized. What are you using for a kettle? Outside temp?

Maybe, that is just how such a large burner runs? I can't tell much difference in the flame height on mine at different control settings. You can't gauge by that. Did you weigh the tank before and after the batch?

I don't think you will see any difference by changing the regulator. Are you sure the hose is connected tightly to the regulator and there are no other leaks in the setup? Mine was loose at the orifice when I bought it and there was a lot of wasted gas plus danger.

Mine was\is also loose with some tanks but not all of them. After I noticed this and swapped my "leaky" tank out I starting noticing how much less propane I was going through. Maybe you have a leak??

bendavanza, how did you correct the leak? But a new connector\regulator\hose assembly?

Back