K-Meta in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

I'd like to know if K-Meta can be used in brewing just like in

Wine making to protect the Beer against Bacteria and Oxidation ?!

If yes , how much and when to add ?

Hector

There isn't really any reason to use it. We boil the wort before fermentation which essentially sterilizes it. We also don't rack as much as wine makers do, so oxidation really isn't as much of an issue.

Agreed. K-meta has no place in beer making at any stage. Star-san to sanitize, and don't splash the beer when racking.

Having to degas wines and the longer storage times are why k-meta get used in those applications.

If you are going to backsweeten with something like honey or something k-meta can be used. You would then need to force carb though.

Per Charles Bamforth: 25 ppm, the yeast should be substantially removed as it will reduce sulfite to hydrogen sulfide.

Given that you need either excessive racking (as per wine reduction and this would be counterproductive to the goal of having fresh beer), sterile filtering or pasteurization to avoid hydrogen sulfide production, increasing cold storage capacity and optimizing the cold side process for low oxygen are more practical for the home brewer.

I disagree. It's commonly used to remove chlorine/chloramine.

I agree...I just didn't throw that in because the OP is talking about using it for bottle oxidation preventing.

and adding it to the mash to avoid that urban legend of Hot Side Aeration seems pointless too.

Back