Just wanted to share...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like 10 gallons of lake walk ish pale ale? I love simcoe and Amarillo together. I have a simcoe Amarillo with three more dry hop days and into the keg.
What's the grain bill for that hop-monster.

I just realized I had an extra centennial in the picture. Recipe needs 16oz hops.
This is going to be a 5 gallon batch, IIPA... Thinkin bout naming it The Pounder IIPA. I know a pound of hops is quite ambitious and I could probably get away with using less with a similar result... but... then it wouldnt be The Pounder! Id have to name it something like You Wussed Out IIPA.

Pretty simple grain bill...
14 lbs 2row
2 lbs Honey Malt
1 lb Cara
1 lb Crystal 20
1 lb Corn Sugar (late boil addition)

Not so simple Hop bill...
1oz Pacific Jade @ 60
2oz Columbus @ 60

1oz Simcoe @ 45

2oz Glacier @ 30

2oz Simcoe @ 0
2oz Amarillo @ 0

2oz Amarillo for 14 days
1oz Centennial for 14 days

2oz Simcoe for 7 days
1oz Cascade for 7 days

2 packets Safale 05

Low mash temp (maybe 148-150)
Sugar to dry her out
Long primary (maybe 21 days)
definite use of a secondary
5 day cold crash
Est OG 1.093
Est IBU 136
Est SRM 9.7
Est ABV 10.4

You dig?

That's great! Can't wait to hear how it turns out in your opinion. Cheers!

Ya the 136 (calculated) IBUs puckered up my brown-eye too. Believe it or not besides the few additional hop adds at the 45 and 30min range, its not thaaaat far off from a PTE (amount and AA% wise). Granted I know its not that close but I think Vinnie just uses...

2row
little crystal
little cara
little corn sugar
3-ish oz of bittering hops
a couple small additions at 45 and 30
3-ish oz and flame out
and 2 sets of 2-ish oz dry hops.
I think he gets around 90 (actual) IBUs

Im hoping my additional bittering hops will be balanced by the extra grain and dry hops. Also that 136 is from beersmith, I have no idea how acurate that is.

I'm drooling thinking about this one. I have Lake Walk PA in my fermentor now and the Simcoe/Amarillo blend is my new favorite, smells like tropical fruit coming out of my airlock. I definitely want a full report on how this bad boy turns out.

Thats the 2nd reference to "lake walk" so far... Never heard of it. Something I should be researching? Huge fan of simcoe too. My last brew was an all simcoe IPA and granted I funked up the mash a bit (drunk) it was delicious!

If you are a fan of Simcoe, then you should definitely do a search for Lake Walk. I don't think I will personally brew any other APA and will probably use it as a base for an IPA and IIPA.

Never used them. Got a bunch of random hops for a bday present and that was in there. 13% AA so it should be a decent bittering hop. With the 2oz of columbus to go with, I doubt it'll make a difference.

Back