Just took a sip from a 1964 PBR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acefaser

Reaction score
YUCK! Ok, beer doesn't age as well as wine. I was cleaning out my grandpa's house and found a 12 pack in his basement. Don't think I will be drinking any more of them...

YUCK! Ok, beer doesn't age as well as wine. I was cleaning out my grandpa's house and found a 12 pack in his basement. Don't think I will be drinking any more of them...

Try to sell the other eleven on e-Bay, unless you want to keep them as a remembrance of Grandpa. :tank:

Check out the chunks floating...

ForumRunner_20110717_210438.jpg

Uh, an aluminum can with an ecology top? Not '64.

Steel cans (with a rim on the top AND bottom) were around into the 70's. Coors was the first with an ecology top (2 holes), as opposed to the pull tabs. We were still pulling those things off in the late 80's.

I'd have to say that can there is early 90's. That's a guess. I apologize if I'm way off here, but I don't think so.

passedpawn said:
Uh, an aluminum can with an ecology top? Not '64.

Steel cans (with a rim on the top AND bottom) were around into the 70's. Coors was the first with an ecology top (2 holes), as opposed to the pull tabs. We were still pulling those things off in the late 80's.

I'd have to say that can there is early 90's. That's a guess. I apologize if I'm way off here, but I don't think so.

Ahh man I think your correct. I was guessing the date due to the fact my grandpa stored drinking in 64. Must have been a gift. Oh well,i well be enjoying all the other hard liquor he left behind.

acefaser said:

40 year old bottled wine would not be good either

Wine turns to like vinegar after like 15 years right?

Oldest beer I've had was 11 year old sam adams triple back and it was delicious! Almost had port like flavour to it.

40 year old bottled wine would not be good either

Not necessarily...

Properly stored (and bottled) wine can last for well over 100 years.

It really depends on the grapes, packaging, and storage.

If you get a bottle from an excellent year that was packaged and cellared correctly, you could potentially reach the 50 year mark without any detrimental effects. It's rare for a wine over 50 years old to be drinkable. "Well over 100" I'm not so sure of...

Check this out: http://www.forbes.com/2003/11/19/cx_np_1119feat.html

OP, that is some nasty looking beer. Can't believe you had the guts to try it!

I'd think that every home brewer regardless of political leanings would worship at the feet of Jimmy C.

Did Jimmy Carter have a lot to do with it?

Was the legalization of homebrew an actual bill? Or did it just piggy back onto something else and he just happened to be the president at the time? I looked on wikipedia, all i could find was that Australia and the UK also legalized homebrew shortly before the US did.

If this was just attached to some big spending bill, I don't think Jimmy deserves any credit. If he asked congress to pass a law to legalize it, then yes, he deserves a statue

Properly stored (and bottled) wine can last for well over 100 years.

Wines you buy in the supermarket are pretty much at their peak when you buy them. Then it's all downhill from there. Old school red wines can age longer, but it's a bit rare, AFAIK, for a 100 year old wine to actually be drinkable.

There are many factors that determine how a wine or beer ages. Alcohol level, tannins, cork quality/oxygen exposure, yeast used, sediment, the amount of oak, the amount of sulphites, etc. Since grapes in modern wines are de-stemmed before fermentation, there are less tannins so they can be brought to market sooner.

A heavy, high alcohol beer like a barley wine can go many years. OTOH, an uncomplex corn or rice fed coors, miller, bud, PBR, etc. will be lucky to be drinkable in 6 months......

Did Jimmy Carter have a lot to do with it?

Was the legalization of homebrew an actual bill? Or did it just piggy back onto something else and he just happened to be the president at the time? I looked on wikipedia, all i could find was that Australia and the UK also legalized homebrew shortly before the US did.

If this was just attached to some big spending bill, I don't think Jimmy deserves any credit. If he asked congress to pass a law to legalize it, then yes, he deserves a statue

Yeeaaah this quote is from Wikipedia but it actually had citations so I followed them and everything checks out:

Homebrewing of beer having an alcohol content higher than 0.5% remained illegal until 1978 when Congress passed a bill repealing Federal restrictions on the homebrewing of small amounts of beer.[3] Jimmy Carter, 39th President of the United States, signed the bill into law in February 1979; however, the bill left individual states free to pass their own laws limiting production.

Yeeaaah this quote is from Wikipedia but it actually had citations so I followed them and everything checks out:

That doesnt really answer my question though. Of course "a bill" legalized it. But was it a homebrew bill? Or was it attached to some bigger bill?

I guess what I'm getting at, was their a rep or senator that deserves more of the credit than Carter if he just happened to be the guy in office signing a bill that just happened to legalize homebrew, or was it an actual bill that's sole purpose was to legalize homebrew? At the request of carter? Did carter legalize it, or just not veto it?

A quick google search led me to someone saying the bill was called "HR 1337" so I searched for "HR 1337 brewing" and yielded results. PL 95-458 section 2

http://www.erielinebrewingco.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/95-458.pdf

I'm not sure if that means they passed as one or those were all of the bills passed during the 95th Congress.

Yeah but that doesn't really answer my question. :fro:

Well it was attached to an excise bill, but it was Section II! I assume that means homebrew was more of a priority than cash payments in lieu of food stamps.

Thanks

I have a 6-er of Harley Davidson beer I got in 1994 when I happened to drive through Sturgis on a road trip (totally random - I'm not a biker and didn't even know what Sturgis was; just happened to be going through). Felt like an appropriate thing to buy.

Every once in a while I think about cracking one just to see ...

probably won't, though.

Yeah but that doesn't really answer my question. :fro:

Well it was attached to an excise bill, but it was Section II! I assume that means homebrew was more of a priority than cash payments in lieu of food stamps.

Thanks

That's what I'm assuming. Sorry, I thought the last statement in my previous post was basically saying I didn't know whether or not it would answer your question :D

Still, I've bookmarked that Bill into my "Beer" bookmarks folder. Maybe I'll make a plaque out of Section II and hang it in the brewery :rockin:

Back