Just starting. What other equipment should I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walrusbt

Reaction score
Can't wait to get started home brewing. Lucky for me, my birthday is coming up so I'm going to get most of what I need as presents. In the meantime, I'm on CL regularly looking for a freezer to convert into a fermentation chamber. So for initial equipment I settled on the Midest Supplies Kit that's $100, but I probably have $100-$150 left to spend. I know there are countless threads on "what do I need" so I apologize in advance but appreciate your help.

The kit includes:
• 5 Gallon Glass Carboy
• 6.5 Gallon Plastic Fermenter with Lid
• 6.5 Gallon Bottling Bucket with Spigot
• 8 Oz. of Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser
• Drilled Universal Carboy Bung
• Airlock
• Hydrometer
• Bottle Brush
• Carboy Brush
• Twin Lever Red Baron Bottle Capper
• Bottle Caps
• Liquid Crystal Thermometer
• Bottle Filler
• Fermtech AutoSiphon upgrade
• Siphon Tubing
• Shutoff clamp

I probably have $100-$150 left to spend...what else should I get? I have on the list:
- Kettle (8gallon+) and burner so I can do full boils
- Large Funnel - figure I'll need this soon enough
- Another Carboy - I imagine I'll need this but since a secondary isn't necessary most of the time, maybe I don't need this since I could ferment two batches with what I'm getting in the kit. I think there is a good chance after the first batch I'll do some half-size batches. Maybe a 3 gallon carboy or BB would be appropriate.
- Some 22 oz bottles (saving the 12 oz at home)
- Wort chiller
- Pre-chiller - it sounds like full boils are the way to go. I live in Texas so I imagine I'll need this. I'm not sure of the tap water temperature, but I'm guessing it's upper 70s - it's cool but not cold.
- Beer recipe kit

Missing anything major on this list? Anything you'd change? Thanks so much.:mug:

Can't wait to get started home brewing. Lucky for me, my birthday is coming up so I'm going to get most of what I need as presents. In the meantime, I'm on CL regularly looking for a freezer to convert into a fermentation chamber. So for initial equipment I settled on the Midest Supplies Kit that's $100, but I probably have $100-$150 left to spend. I know there are countless threads on "what do I need" so I apologize in advance but appreciate your help.

The kit includes:
• 5 Gallon Glass Carboy
• 6.5 Gallon Plastic Fermenter with Lid
• 6.5 Gallon Bottling Bucket with Spigot
• 8 Oz. of Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser
• Drilled Universal Carboy Bung
• Airlock
• Hydrometer
• Bottle Brush
• Carboy Brush
• Twin Lever Red Baron Bottle Capper
• Bottle Caps
• Liquid Crystal Thermometer
• Bottle Filler
• Fermtech AutoSiphon upgrade
• Siphon Tubing
• Shutoff clamp

I probably have $100-$150 left to spend...what else should I get? I have on the list:
- Kettle (8gallon+) and burner so I can do full boils
- Large Funnel - figure I'll need this soon enough
- Another Carboy - I imagine I'll need this but since a secondary isn't necessary most of the time, maybe I don't need this since I could ferment two batches with what I'm getting in the kit. I think there is a good chance after the first batch I'll do some half-size batches. Maybe a 3 gallon carboy or BB would be appropriate.
- Some 22 oz bottles (saving the 12 oz at home)
- Wort chiller
- Pre-chiller - it sounds like full boils are the way to go. I live in Texas so I imagine I'll need this. I'm not sure of the tap water temperature, but I'm guessing it's upper 70s - it's cool but not cold.
- Beer recipe kit

Missing anything major on this list? Anything you'd change? Thanks so much.:mug:
One thing that comes to mind is some sanitizer. Easy Clean is not a true sanitizer, but it's good for cleaning. I use Starsan.:mug:

The next thing that you are going to do....is pitch the bottles and go for kegs. So much easier in the long run than dealing with cleaning, sanitizing, etc... Just my 2 kegs worth.

Bottle tree
Bottle blaster to clean inside the bottles easy.
Kettle or turkey fryer kit to do full boils.:mug:

One thing that comes to mind is some sanitizer. Easy Clean is not a true sanitizer, but it's good for cleaning. I use Starsan

I had Star San on my list as well as a tub and crate for storage but left it off. Thanks.

The next thing that you are going to do....is pitch the bottles and go for kegs. So much easier in the long run than dealing with cleaning, sanitizing, etc... Just my 2 kegs worth.

Kegs sounds great, and about 7-8 years ago would have been my likely avenue. I just don't host as much as I used to and need to be able to take my beer on the go. (I don't drink as much as I used to either which is why I'll probably try some half-size batches after the first batch).

Bottle tree
Bottle blaster to clean inside the bottles easy.
Kettle or turkey fryer kit to do full boils.:mug:

Thanks. By bottle blaster are you referring to what I'm seeing listed as a bottle rinser on the home brew websites?
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=1322

1. Starsan
3. Refractometer
2. Immersion chiller
In that order.
Btw welcome and good luck. Take good notes.

After my first brewing experience last weekend with a setup similar to yours I would say the two things that would have made my life a lot easier are an outdoor burner and wort chiller.

Those two things would have my friend and I at least two or three hours and a clean up job from a boil over on his stove.

joe

Star-san, and a blow off tube.

Get some tubing that fits that hole lid for the air lock. It should fit tightly. You want a few feet. Run that into a container of water.

On many beers, the fermenting yeast will be so active, they will blow out the airlock, then clog the airlock. You don't want this =)

You may want to get some additional bottling/cleaning equipment and backup consumables:

Bottle Dryer, Bottle washer, Bottle Rinse, Carboy Rinse, extra tubing, extra gaskets, extra bottle bucket spigot (I break one every 2 brews for some reason), How to brew (book), extra hydrometer, extra airlock, etc.

I started with the Midwest kit, but I wished that I would have purchased the add on kit at the same time. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/equipment-upgrade-kit-two.html

None of this is necessary to make good beer, they just make things easier.
Keep in mind that outside of the buckets/carboys/capper, the other items break easily and shipping is very expensive.

I am a new brewer in Texas, just getting through my first batch, and I'll tell you that trying to keep your primary fermentation between 60-75 degrees is super challenging in the Texas summer!

Not sure if you have a spare chest freezer, I went through my first week keeping my primary carboy in a big bucket of water which I swapped ice in and out to keep cool, with heavy A/C until my Thermo Control arrived to start using an unused chest freezer.

Otherwise I have what you have, so I'll follow this one closely to see what else I am missing to make life easier! I haven't hit bottling, but I concur with kegs, I will probably have to bottle 50% minimum since I need it mobile.

EDIT: Ahh, I see you say that you are looking on Craig's List for this, +1 to that idea. Don't forget the controller.

A ball valve on the kettle would be a great addition if its in the cards although if you're making smaller batches, the lift and pour method won't be too big of a deal. Definitely a wort chiller for full boils. +1 on the propane burner.

Walrus,

Not sure if anyone has mentioned a Vinator or not, but it is the best upgrade I have purchased. Makes rinsing with sanitizer a breeze.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produ...=1322&osCsid=da9125177b11f8899f1c8cdd7bcb7c1c

They are wonderful.

NRS

I'm glad you brought this up because I was about to ask about it. I came across this before Clann redirected me to the bottle rinsers he was referring to. I watched videos on both so I understand how both are used. So, I guess I having both would be good? The bottlle washer that shoots a jet of water to help clean the carboys and bottles, and the Vinator Bottle Rinser for sanitizing? If so how are these used in conjuction with one another regarding bottling? Clean with the water first, let dry and sanitize and let dry? Right now I'm just rinsing out the bottles I'm saving with water after use, but I'll need to hit them with the type of water-based bottle rinser Clann referred me to?

Soak bottles with favorite cleaner, Rinse with Jet, Sanitize with Vinator, hang on dryer.
You could also use a dish washer (no soap) to sanitize instead of the vinator. The Jet is a big help with new or dirty bottles (bottles with gunk left in the bottom because they were not rinsed after use). Without it, it can be hard to get that stuff to come loose.

well not really equiptment but when i first started I wanted to understand "how" brewing and the process worked so my suggestion is a good brewing book with some beginers recipes i.e. the complete joy of homebrewing by charlie papazian or how to brew by john palmer. Also software is helpfull i.e. beersmith. My advice is learn everything you can cause all the equiptment in the world means nothing if you don't know why your using it. Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

well not really equiptment but when i first started I wanted to understand "how" brewing and the process worked so my suggestion is a good brewing book with some beginers recipes i.e. the complete joy of homebrewing by charlie papazian or how to brew by john palmer. Also software is helpfull i.e. beersmith. My advice is learn everything you can cause all the equiptment in the world means nothing if you don't know why your using it. Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

my recommendation too - if anything, it's great to have something lying around that you can reference to in your time of need!

+1 on the vinator, chiller, kettle, burner I'm about 8 months in and have these things. My next step is temp control.

Add wine thief to the list. it's not much money and a big convenience. Check the thread I posted a few minutes ago for what's most important and when to do it as a beginner. A good BN Army podcast I recently heard.

Good Luck

A couple of things I would add that helped me:

1) Thermometer for the steeping.
2) Paddle or big spoon.
3) Refractometer.

I got the Palmer book about 10 days ago and have enjoyed reading it. It's certainly helping me put together and understand the things I'm reading about on this site, and I would also recommend it to anyone else starting out who might be reading this thread.

+1 on the vinator, chiller, kettle, burner I'm about 8 months in and have these things. My next step is temp control.

Add wine thief to the list. it's not much money and a big convenience. Check the thread I posted a few minutes ago for what's most important and when to do it as a beginner. A good BN Army podcast I recently heard.

Good Luck

Thanks. Just watched a video on the wine thief. That's an easy add - inexpensive and looks like it will make things easier. I'll check your thread.

Midwest groupon deal for a starter kit. Half off.
listing on Houston area; but you just need to change your location to get it.
2 days left; $64 instead of $138

A brewing essentials equipment kit (a $56.95 value)
A steel bottle opener (a $14.95 value)
Choice of an irish red ale, an autumn amber ale, or an irish stout ingredient kit (up to a $27.99 value)
An instructional DVD (a $4.95 value)
A $25 gift certificate for a second batch

I bought an upgraded kit from local brewing supply store, Polar Brewing here in Anchorage AK. 6.5 gal plastic bucket with spigot,5 gallon glass carboy, manual bottle capper, tubes and bottle filler. Working on my first batch, IPA, has been fermenting now for 5 days and am anxious to transfer to carboy next tuesday:D

can't wait to bottle and eventually enjoy

Back