Just how screwed am I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invivoSaccharomyces

Reaction score
I just transferred my kolsch to the secondary yesterday. I checked it today, and the top of it is covered in white spots, about 1/2 to 1 cm across.

Unless this is some known phenomenon that is caused by my yeast, I assume that I've got mold growing on my beer.

Are there any fungicides that won't kill yeast? Has anyone encountered this before? Should I chuck the batch and start all over?

(This is horribly embarrassing, too - I'm a biologist, for crying out loud! I regularly grow bacteria and cell lines in the lab without contamination of any kind!)

Most likely what you're describing is yeast rafts - clumps of yeast that have decided to stick to the surface. Kolsch yeast has very low flocculation, meaning it tends not to sink to the bottom of the fermenter. A picture would help us help you.

DON'T DUMP IT!!

My goodness I feel dumb! I just pulled the carboy out of the closet to take a picture, and in the process, stirred up the "mold" - and discovered that it was patches of tiny bubbles!

So, the answer to my question: How screwed am I? If my brain keeps operating at this level, very! But my beer might be okay.

I swear I've seen mold that looked exactly like what I saw. Back before I became a good biologist and knew what I was doing with cell culture.

My goodness I feel dumb! I just pulled the carboy out of the closet to take a picture, and in the process, stirred up the "mold" - and discovered that it was patches of tiny bubbles!

So, the answer to my question: How screwed am I? If my brain keeps operating at this level, very! But my beer might be okay.

I swear I've seen mold that looked exactly like what I saw. Back before I became a good biologist and knew what I was doing with cell culture.

Not laughing AT you. Laughing WITH you.:D

Latest posts

Back