Just got kegs, gaskets smell like pepsi.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austinb

Reaction score
I just picked up 4 corny kegs, the final piece to my new kegging system. I noticed that while the kegs smell fine the gaskets on the lid smell like pepsi. I plan on replacing them but the brew shop here in town isn't open until tuesday. However, i'd really like to start kegging my beer tonight because I have a couple batches I want to start drinking ASAP. Will those gaskets make my beer smell like pepsi or should I not worry about it, keg it and then change the gaskets on tuesday when I can get new ones at the brew shop? Thanks.

The smell/taste could definitely end up in the beer. I'd wait and swap them and buy plenty of extras cause you never know when you'll need them.

Whats the rush? Wait until you can do it right. Why risk good beer.

Most of my kegs smelled like pepsi. Oxyclean or pbw got rid of almost all the smell. Whatever was left has never been detectable in any beer including a lager and a light, clean summer ale.

every time you buy a used keg, its a good idea to immediately change out the 5 gaskets regardless of how good they are or not. at $3 per set its not bad, and they last for years as long as you dont damage them.

My plan was always to change them on tuesday when the LHBS opened but I'm sure most of you know what it is like when you get some new piece of homebrew equipment and can't wait to try it out. Mostly what I was trying to figure out was if I risked ruining the beer if I went for it and then depressurized the kegs to change the o-rings on tuesday (and then repressurized).

It turns out one of the o-rings didn't smell at all so i filled one keg today (I will still change the o-ring on tuesday). I still have 5 gallons of the same beer in a carboy so if in the slight chance that it does ruin the beer at least I didn't ruin the whole batch.

Since they weren't root beer, you should be able to soak in oxi and remove the smell. I'd just wait until you get the replacements seals though.

Back