Just got asked to brew for a wedding!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
Yesterday, one of my good friends asked me to brew the beer for his wedding at the end of August. I'm not looking for recipes, as I know where to find those, but are there any other tips or words of advice folks that have done this before would like to share? Just looking to avoid any possible pitfalls or problems with this. They have already cleared the homebrew with the venue as well.

Also, how much beer have people made that have done this before and how many varieties? How did you serve it? Anything else I'm not asking? Thanks!

I made all the beer for my own wedding last June. Get started early and keep going, when you think you have enough, keep going. I found that people that don't normally drink beer were drinking my homebrew. I served 4 different kinds in bottles. We just filled 4 big tubs with bottles and ice, labelled each tub, and it worked out perfect. Although I will say, storing all those bottles before the wedding and getting them cold before hand took some planning. I had fridges in two different towns keeping the beer cold the week before the wedding.

If I could do it again, I would keg. That would be a lot easier than all those bottles. Not to mention the cleaning and saving of all those bottles. It's a lot of work, but it feels great to see everyone enjoying the beer, even non-beer drinkers, and know that it's your beer.

Good luck.

I know you said they have cleared the homebrew with the venue but I'd still do a reading of your state and local laws. If my neck of the woods it's not legal to do this and no liquor license would cover the serving of homebrew or wine for weddings etc. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but it's better to know the rules up front so you can comply with any permits you need early on.

Also if you're brewing lots of beer wouldn't hurt to drop a hint about a new brewpot or other piece of equipment you could use to the bride and groom :)

I used my "trashcan kegerator" for three kegs of beer for a retirement party. It's nice to have a variety. I had a cream ale, oatmeal stout, and a pale ale. That way, everybody from BMC drinkers to beer snobs had something to choose from.

Since it was summer, I did a low OG oatmeal stout- so it was quaffable and not heavy. 1.040, mashed at 152.

I brewed all the beer for my sister's wedding. I kegged and used my twin tap keggerator. We expected 80-100 guests, and about 120 showed up. My biggest problem was I only had 25 gallons, but it was all pretty strong stuff. This was a huge mistake because everyone was hammered so they drank even more than normal. We had to make several beer runs after that. You have to take into comsideration that many people are probably going to leave hundreds of cups around with one or two inches in the bottom. It was crazy, people we praising my beer, and were disappointed when it ran out, yet so much went to waste. Usually in a huge social gathering, people will put down their cups, forget where they are, and go get another refill. So be sure you brew all you can and even more after that because even if you don't end up using it all, you'll have a nice pipeline for yourself. Good luck with it. I can tell you it is extremely rewarding to look over a crowd and see everyone getting tipsy and having a great time because of something you created. At one point, a guy came up to me, threw his arm around my shoulder and asked, "how does it feel to know that everone here is twisted because of something you made yourself?". It felt pretty damn good. Best of luck to you.

Ok Skee. Time for post #2. I am currently trying to brew some batches for my own wedding. Unfortunately, the lady that runs the venue claims that bringing homebrew creates a problem. I haven't been able to get any specifics out of her but it does sound like some crazy state law. I am now trying to find a loophole around it (her). She says it is fine to give them out as gifts but they can't be served there. I'll let you know about anything else I find out. Actually, I'll probably run into you later today.:tank: <- me and the lady

Ok Skee. Time for post #2. I am currently trying to brew some batches for my own wedding. Unfortunately, the lady that runs the venue claims that bringing homebrew creates a problem. I haven't been able to get any specifics out of her but it does sound like some crazy state law. I am now trying to find a loophole around it (her). She says it is fine to give them out as gifts but they can't be served there. I'll let you know about anything else I find out. Actually, I'll probably run into you later today.:tank: <- me and the lady

It could be that she wants you to buy the beer from her.

It's OK to serve homebrew here as long as you're not being paid for it in any way.

The wedding is not in NC. Honestly, I'm not sure which state it's in? I do know that it will be North of here. I'm not too concerned with the legal issues, since they are the ones getting the venue and getting it all cleared. I am in charge of production. They even have bartenders to pour the beer apparently. All I could get out of them is that it is an outdoor venue. Whatever that means? I'm definitely gonna keg all this. It's just figuring out: 1) How many to serve 2) What to serve 3) What to serve it out of.

Thanks for all the replies. Keep 'em coming!

Just say that the wedding is an organized tasting. It probably has to do with beer license and taxes on served beverages. I think the key is "they" can't legally serve it. It should not stop you from serving it.

I am getting married sometime next year and am planning on brewing and giving the bottles as wedding favor gifts to those who want them. I will be making some really nice labels with our wedding info and picture on them and SWMBO was really excited when i suggested it.

I haven't decided on what I will be brewing for it yet but when I get back from my cruise next week I am brewing a 'Wildflower Wheat' from Extreme Brewing so if it turns out well I may go with that.

Make twice as much as you think you will need. A friend of mine had a small wedding back in October. There were about 50 people in all. And not all of them were drinking. I brewed 3 - 5 gallon batches. We drank all but about 1/4 of a keg.

I made a vanilla cream ale for my daughter's wedding. I had labels made that said: Tears of Joy Vanilla Cream Ale, with their names and the date.

Gave them away at the end of the night. Needless to say they all vanished. I've found that women especially like the recipe. I'm traveling right now so I don't have recipe on me...but any kind of light vanilla beer would be good imo.

I would suggest a variety. A lot of people there will probably be BMC drinkers. At my wedding I had a American Lager, for those BMC guys, a couple of different Amber beers, a stout, and a wheat. Just remember what you've heard so far, when you think you're done, keep brewing!

I brewed for my wedding. There were about 200 folks in attendance. I had 30 gallons on tap - an oktoberfest, blonde pale ale, red, cali common, and my buddy brewed big oatmeal stout. If I were to do it again, I would have asked him to brew something smaller and lighter. The stout was the only keg with anything left in it.

Take into account if beer will be the only alcoholic beverage being served. If there is wine and a bar, you may not need as much beer.

I have decided to brew for my wedding as well. However, I think what we're going to do is have a few bottles in the hotel rooms, have some for the rehearsal dinner, then give them out as favors at the end. I just can't possibly brew enough to serve at the actual wedding!

However, I'm trying to decide on one distinct style to be the "Wedding Ale." It is a mid-August wedding in NC, so it will be warm, so I was thinking something lighter and a little fruity. Basically, I have narrowed it down to doing either a wheat beer or a belgium (probably a tripel).

Does anyone have suggestions for either of those, why I should do one over the other, or a good crowd-pleasing recipe for either one?

I'm also taking a poll on my website to determine which is the favorite, so feel free to go vote and comment there as well - Beer Poll.

Latest posts

Back