Just got a variety of extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjusa

Reaction score
I got some clearance lme that just arrived, now to figure out what to make.
2 briess rye malt lme 3.3lb
3 briess sparkling amber 3.3lb
1 muntons light 3.3lb
I was thinking of combining 1 rye with 1 amber, and maybe the other with the light malt for a couple recipes. I've got different caramel malts and chocolate/ roasted malts to do a partial mash as well.
I'm normally an all grain brewer but at $4 a can or so it was pretty hard to pass up to have for a quick brew.
Any thoughts on my ideas above or better ideas? This will be my first experience with rye as a flavor

6lbs of LME will be your base for a 5 gal batch.
You can then add a partial grain of around 2lbs of any flavoring you'd like.
Hop to taste.
I make Rye all the time, it is like using rye for a sandwich compared to wheat. Gives a nice flavor, I make IPA with it. every other month.

6lbs of LME will be your base for a 5 gal batch.
You can then add a partial grain of around 2lbs of any flavoring you'd like.
Hop to taste.
I make Rye all the time, it is like using rye for a sandwich compared to wheat. Gives a nice flavor, I make IPA with it. every other month.
Thank you for your response. Do you think the c hops pair well with rye? Perhaps better than the newer hops?

I prefer classic "c hop" character (especially earth/pine forward) with rye beers more than newer tropical ones, which I don't think melds with the rye spice as well.

And "c hops" generally refers to the classic PNW old school American hops that often start with a C. So Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, etc.

I prefer classic "c hop" character (especially earth/pine forward) with rye beers more than newer tropical ones, which I don't think melds with the rye spice as well.

And "c hops" generally refers to the classic PNW old school American hops that often start with a C. So Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, etc.
ahh OKay got it. "C" hops. Citra would be nice, 5 gal batch 1/2 oz at flame out. Azzaca is nice too

That's kind of what i was thinking for pairing. I've got some cascade so I'm thinking of doing the rye/amber combo and doing a cascade "pale ale" type hopping level and schedule. I think steeping any crystal would be overkill with this but I'm looking to use these extracts for a shorter brew day or squeeze in 2 brews in a day.

That's kind of what i was thinking for pairing. I've got some cascade so I'm thinking of doing the rye/amber combo and doing a cascade "pale ale" type hopping level and schedule. I think steeping any crystal would be overkill with this but I'm looking to use these extracts for a shorter brew day or squeeze in 2 brews in a day.
If you've got some Chinook, that'd play well with rye and Cascade in my opinion. But the Cascade will do nicely on its own too.

If you've got some Chinook, that'd play well with rye and Cascade in my opinion. But the Cascade will do nicely on its own too.
I've got chinook, columbus, and centennial in addition to cascade. Gotta keep the hoppiness somewhat restrained because the beer is primarily for my dad who normally drinks lagers.

Latest posts

Back