Just got a kit. Now where to get a SS pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jms5180

Reaction score
I got the brewers best deluxe kit with an extra 6.5 gal carboy. Also got the brewers best belgian trippel and corresponding whitelabs liquid yeast. Missing a few pieces of equipment.

I dont think I have a stainless steel pot bigger than 3.5 gal. I plan to do partial boils but wouldn't mind getting a bigger pot for full boils if I could get one big enough for cheap enough. It seems the homebrew pots are extremely expensive. Any good places to get a pot online?

Also what should I make my starter in. Are there some household items I probably already own that I could use to make a starter. Any other tips would be great. So pumped for my first brew!

I got the brewers best deluxe kit with an extra 6.5 gal carboy. Also got the brewers best belgian trippel and corresponding whitelabs liquid yeast. Missing a few pieces of equipment.

I dont think I have a stainless steel pot bigger than 3.5 gal. I plan to do partial boils but wouldn't mind getting a bigger pot for full boils if I could get one big enough for cheap enough. It seems the homebrew pots are extremely expensive. Any good places to get a pot online?

Also what should I make my starter in. Are there some household items I probably already own that I could use to make a starter. Any other tips would be great. So pumped for my first brew!

I would check Amazon and get one of the Bayou classic turkey fryer pots. Lots of reviews there. My brewpot is a 9 gallon that I do full boils in and I got it for less than $100.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JXYUA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, welcome to HBT and our wonderful hob-session!

First off, any kettle will do, I started with a 3 gal and did partial boils. Actual brew kettles can get expensive, but you can find SS or aluminum stock pots at most places that sell kitchen wares. Try the big guys like Midwest or AHS for actual brew kettles. They may even sell regular stock pots. My LHBS, Brew & Grow MN sells 5 gal thin wall SS pots for ~$30, I have one and love it. They ship nationwide, but I can't say for how much as they're right down the road from me.
The cheapest way is probably an aluminum stock pot. I have a 7 gal that came wit hmy turkey fryer. I use that as my main kettle for ~5 gal batches. You can always drill a stock pot for a spigot and add a false bottom.
For starters I use many things; a 2000 ml flask, gallon glass jugs, large mason jars, growlers, I've even used plastic mil cartons and 2 liter side bottles. Basically, if it can hold your starter with enough headspace, is food grade if it's plastic, and you sanitize it, you can use it for starters.

Can I take DME from the kit (it has 3 cups) and use .5 cup for the starter or will this mess up my SG numbers?

I'd get DME just for starters. I buy 'damaged' bags from Midwest for a discount, put 'em in tupperware and there ya go. You can use the DME from the kit, but it'd be better to leave the kit as it and get some DME designated for starters.

I just pick up a keg off of craigslist for $15. It had been used as an end table for years, but the keg was undamaged. (They had glued glass to the top of the keg) With a little work in my uncle's metal shop, I'll have a 15 gallon pot.

jms5180 said:

I make my starters in a glass mason jar. Not as fancy as an Ehrlenmeyer flask, but the yeast don't seen to notice.

If you don't want to put forth any effort, this is an 8gal pot that works fine. Comes with lid and false bottom. $26 shipped.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018EAV4M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I can say that SS is easier to clean than aluminum. I just brewed a rye wheat today using a thin walled SS 5 gal pot and it took half the scrubbing to get it clean. I got it for around $38 from northern brewer with lid.

I use both a half gallon growler and one gallon jug that used to be filled with cheap wine for my starter containers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back