just finished a run

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odorf

Guru of Nothing
Reaction score
cob sweet feed,
white_oak.png
proof.png

Nice! You doing a typical 30/30/30/10 ratio sweet feed grain bill or are you picking up prepackaged sweet feed?

Nice! You doing a typical 30/30/30/10 ratio sweet feed grain bill or are you picking up prepackaged sweet feed?
sorry, missed your post
I use pre packaged cob
instead of just chunking it in the ferment barrel i simmer it to break down enzimes
add sugar to it, then into a 30 gallon barrel
horse feed.jpg

cob-with-molasses-three-grain-mix-farm-animal-feed-40-lb.jpg

You are breaking down enzymes but you are doing nothing for the conversion of them. Sugar shine is all it is.

It good but could be MUCH better if you covert the starches into fermentable sugars.
I did one last year and did 3 different runs, corn, barley, wheat... Then added 10% moll to the spirit run and man ohhh man was that **** special!)

Also if running a single pass, do yourself a favor and do another run n and slow as a spirit run. You can't go wrong thata way.

You are breaking down enzymes but you are doing nothing for the conversion of them. Sugar shine is all it is.

It good but could be MUCH better if you covert the starches into fermentable sugars.
I did one last year and did 3 different runs, corn, barley, wheat... Then added 10% moll to the spirit run and man ohhh man was that poopy special!)

Also if running a single pass, do yourself a favor and do another run n and slow as a spirit run. You can't go wrong thata way.

talk to me, i thought i was converting it by boiling it
i'm not? now i am sad

For Sweet feed whiskey, the non malted barley has some enzyme capability, but no where near enough for proper conversion of the grains.

What you are doing without added enzymes or malted barley is closer to a sugarhead (a grain flavoured whiskey similiar to UJSSM and Gumball). With added alpha amalyse you will have a much much higher OG, and need little to no sugar added for ferment.

Currently the grain is flavouring it but mostly being wasted sadly.

As well, never boil for a mash, it denatures most enzymes. A temp range around 150 is perfect for 60-90 minutes (I would recommend 90 personally for Sweet feed). Since you are working with unmalted cereals as well I would also recommend boiling before adding the enzymes for roughly an hour to two before lowering temp to mash temperatures.

Are we allowed to post links to outside brewing/distilling pages here?

Sorry the late reply, each grain has its own temp stage where the starches are optimal for conversion
Corn can be opened up at 160 but will require a longer period, I personally hold corn at 190f as long as possible by dumping boiling water on cornmeal and insulating the fermenter.
Barley, wheat, oats you can get away with a 90 minute rest at 155-160f

That would be a good reason to use malted grains to convert those starches or use liquid enzymes. Those are more ph sensitive than the malts.

You can also open the starches with boiling water on any grains and not hurt anything but when adding malts you want to use them at 155 ish so the temp drops to 146-150ish after the addition and stirring and letting it rest for a good while.

I ferment and distill on the grains so no need for me to squeeze, press.

Sorry the late reply, each grain has its own temp stage where the starches are optimal for conversion
Corn can be opened up at 160 but will require a longer period, I personally hold corn at 190f as long as possible by dumping boiling water on cornmeal and insulating the fermenter.
Barley, wheat, oats you can get away with a 90 minute rest at 155-160f

That would be a good reason to use malted grains to convert those starches or use liquid enzymes. Those are more ph sensitive than the malts.

You can also open the starches with boiling water on any grains and not hurt anything but when adding malts you want to use them at 155 ish so the temp drops to 146-150ish after the addition and stirring and letting it rest for a good while.

I ferment and distill on the grains so no need for me to squeeze, press.

What is your still set up look like? I would LOVE to see the system you use to distill on the grains. IMHO it's really a KILLER way to go. But requires some equipment upgrades for most people.

Cheers
Jay

Sorry Jay, it's been a hell of a week preparing for the hurricane.

My setup is a 15.5 gal keg system, 3 of them.
One is the boiler, the other two are thumpers.
After fermentation I just rack the clear beer in the boiler and put the grains in the thumper (s)

I had to take some braided ss and widen my post in the thumper to evenly heat the grain muck.
Thumpers are a great tool and don't require alot of upkeep, dump, rinse and keep on.

What is the lower end of the thumper inlet like? Looking for suggestions to prevent plugging when thumping on the grain.

Mine is a 1"pipe with multiple 1/8" hole drilled up 4" from the bottom of the pipe.

My other one has a piece of 3/4" soft copper tube I can attach to the bottom of the downspout also drilled with a load of 1/8" holes but I'd covered by stainless braided line to prevent clogging .

That one is 14" long and curved so I can wind into the keg, it attaches with a simple 1/4-20 bolt.

My holes don’t go that high. Been thinking of covering with braid. I have an idea to put on a 90 then some braid to try and spread out the bubbles a little more. Thanks.

Yea, the curved one works best as it heats alot more of the muck at the bottom. The straight tube can leave cool spots in some of the thicker stuff around the bottom.

Back