Just F'ed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBrewthere4Iam

Reaction score
I just got distracted while I started to keg and left about an inch of starsan, water not foam, in the bottom of my keg. I know starsan is safe, but what will the additional water with starsan in it do at that amount maybe more?

Taste bad. Maybe worse, maybe better. Finish up, carb up, taste it, and decide whether or not to dump.

Most important: Never make that mistake again :D

Edit:
If, and when I accidentally do this, I'll hope to catch it before transferring all of my beer. At which point, I'll dump what I've transferred and keg the remainder.

It's lame but maybe there will be little to no affect on the beer. You'll just have to wait and see. You can also pull a small sample of the fermenter beer and kegged beer today and compare side-by-side.

An inch of starsan in the bottom of a keg is nothing. Relax, hit it with C02. Pour out a pint, carb as normal and enjoy. If the beer doesn't taste good it's not because of the minimal starsan that got in there.

Thanks. This is a recipe I do all the time with pretty good consistency, so I will know in a few days. Ill drink regardless.

You diluted your beer by about 5%. Find a guinea pig to test the beer, and see what they think. But don't tell them what you did. :mug:

You diluted your beer by about 5%. Find a guinea pig to test the beer, and see what they think. But don't tell them what you did. :mug:

If he doesn't mix it up before pulling off the first pint it'll be far less then 5%.

I've sipped Starsan before. It tastes citrusy, not bad. low single digit percentage dilution isn't likely to be noticeable by anybody. Even someone who's trying to notice it.

He racked on to the StarSan, me thinks.........So it's mixed!

I got about a half of a cup in a batch once, ( same as you, left in the keg), and I noticed no difference, and had zero trouble consuming it...........

I agree, carb it up and try it. I don't think pouring off the first pint will get rid of anything though. I would think the starsan and beer will readily mix on there own. I don't think there is a starsan layer of liquid below the beer. What's the SG of starsan? The closer the SG's of the beer and the starsan are the easier they mix. Think of oil and water. Very different SG's, thus they don't mix well.

Back