Just chill and drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zentr

Reaction score
Four months ago I put together my first mead. I screwed it up some and it ended up with some Lalvin 71-B and Montrachet (red) yeast in my 1 gallon batch. It has cleared up well. I haven't checked the gravity yet. ...I'm not sure what gravity I'm looking for.

Anyway, my plan is to siphon to another gallon jug. Put a screw cap on it and put in the fridge. Then we will drink it over the following week. Is that a viable plan? Are there factors that I don't know about? Thank you!

Next time, I'll take my time, bottle and age longer, etc.

Sure, you could do that.

Keep in mind that just like when you open a bottle of wine, it tastes different the next day due to oxidation. So the mead will change as you pour and serve it over the course of a week. You may consider racking it into two growler sized jugs- then you have one to drink over a couple of days, and one to save for a bit and open later. Just a thought!

I've bottled quick meads in Grolsch bottles, which I love because it's just exactly the right size for two of us. A gallon is, well, a lot. :drunk:

Thanks Yooper! Your response is exactly what I was looking for.

I do have an extra a growler. I'll put some in there.

Latest posts

Back