Just brewed my first batch and have questions about kegging.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddyp75

Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch (An Oktoberfest Ale) and while I've got the bottles and equipment needed to bottle this batch I would like to move up to kegging after this.

I've put a lot of time into researching brewing beer but none into kegging. My questions are:

1) How much should I plan on spending to get a setup that will allow me to keg? I'm only planning on doing 5 gallon batches for a while.

2) For Christmas I was thinking of brewing up a few batches and giving some of my friends a keg as a gift. So what are some cheap options for getting kegs?

I just brewed my first batch (An Oktoberfest Ale) and while I've got the bottles and equipment needed to bottle this batch I would like to move up to kegging after this.

I've put a lot of time into researching brewing beer but none into kegging. My questions are:

1) How much should I plan on spending to get a setup that will allow me to keg? I'm only planning on doing 5 gallon batches for a while.

2) For Christmas I was thinking of brewing up a few batches and giving some of my friends a keg as a gift. So what are some cheap options for getting kegs?

I find them on CL sometimes, usually they are about $35.00 or so. You can also visit micro-matic.com, they sometimes have some good deals. The gift thing is a bit different, unless the people you are giving them to have CO2 bottles, regulators, taps, etc...I've kegged six batches so far, I like it better than bottling.

A keg might cost $25 or so. A 5# co2 tank is usually about $60 or so, and a regulator is about $40. The lines/disconnects/etc are about $25 or so. So, for about $200 you can get three kegs, a co2 tank, and the stuff you need. Fridges are cheap on Craigslist.

Giving people a keg is a great idea! But unless you're giving them a co2 tank, beerlines and faucets, etc, how will they get the beer out of the keg? :drunk:

Latest posts

Back