Just bought kit from Brooklyn. What else do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's great! most of the ones we usually see people bring in from the turkey fryer packages are really flimsy aluminum.

that's great! most of the ones we usually see people bring in from the turkey fryer packages are really flimsy aluminum.
Nothing wrong with aluminum, there are plenty of threads (including a sticky one I believe) that talk about this. Please don't let this thread go off topic as well.

This is a very nice thread with open discussion of decisions one must make in the early stages of becoming a homebrewer. I'll not touch aluminum/stainless steel and hope others will stay away. A useful nugget for the new brewer is the fact that the cheapest place to find 5-10-20-30 gallon pots is at restaurant supply stores either local or online, you'll be surprised! I paid $54 including shipping for a super heavy-duty 10 gal aluminum pot, was $40 plus shipping. The supplier had 10 gal stainless for under $100. I believe the name of the place was party4you or some such, google it or restaurant supply. Just my $.02

Schlante,
Phillip

I wish I would have seen this thread before. I'm in NYC and you could have easily come over for a brew day.

Also, I have a banjo burner for sale. It's the next model up from the one you linked, and it's $100 cheaper, with a propane tank with it. . . Hell, for that extra benjamin I'd throw you an aluminum 15 gallon pot with a site glass built in. Sooner or later you'll want to do a 10 gallon batch!

Let us know how the brew day goes. Take lots of pics.

B

I should point out that supplies, at this point, are all purchased. And received. So it's kind of moot really to say which pot I should get, or banjo burner etc... ((though bad coffee I wish I'd seen your deal first!)).

:D Basically now all that's left for me to do is screw up on brew day. I am going to try ot compile a list of things I need to HAVE and things I need to HAVE READY. Like warm water, and when, and for what, and all that. I'm sure there's a thread, but I haven't found it yet (which is to say I haven't started looking) so pursuant to the people interested in being helpful (as above, there seems to be quite a few, thanks!!!), that's what I really need now... A schedule, if you will. I do lack the plumbing for the MLT but I'll get that in short order.

I've got a brew plan I typed up for my next brew, planning on doing a partial mash version of EdWort's Haus Pale. This will be my fourth brew, second partial mash, so I've started to get a decent idea of where I get tripped up in the process. I tried to attach it to the thread but it was too big to be allowed. If you want to send me a PM with your email I'd be glad to share that with you.

Back