Just Bought Brooklyn BrewShop's Beer Making Book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitchensqueen

Reaction score
Just placed my order on Amazon, so I finally feel like my official foray into beer making has commenced!

I'd love to hear about everyone's experiences brewing from this book.

Its no great shakes...I got the kindle version just because I started with BBS kits and wanted to see how close I came to figuring out the kit recipe I started with. Great way to see different types of beer recipes that work...and they break it down seasonally, but this site has better recipes and its free. Enjoyable but probably not worth it.

Its OK - I like the different recipe ideas it has (though some of them are a little too twee, but they have some cool ideas), but as a slightly more experienced brewer at this point the lack of hard data - IBUs, OG, etc - drives me a little crazy. I got started with their recipe kits, though, so it was kind of interesting to see what the ingredients were. I like their RyePA, I have the grains for it sitting in my house right now, I just haven't gotten around to brewing it yet...

I thought about starting with one of their kits, but I figured I'd get more mileage out of the book since I can put together my equipment on the cheap and shop around for bulk deals on ingredients.

Small batch brewing is so intriguing to me - I can try lots of different types of beer in small quantities, and the space constraints in our apartment make it seem like a really feasible way to get started.

I hope I get to the point where I'm experienced enough where the lack of hard data like you mention would be frustrating!

I did get around to brewing my first batch - the brown ale from the book. Turned out pretty good, but a little thin. Definitely need to circulate the wort through the grain a bit better next time - didn't have the right sized mesh sieve, so it was a bit of a hassle to strain in batches - and I think that contributed to it's lack of body and depth. That, and we'll bottle age longer before cracking it open next time. If I recall correctly, we opened the first one at 10-12 days?

HBT is better than any book I've read. I can search here, I can ask here, almost anything beer or brew relate is here, if you spend any time looking, you will get the answer here. There are recipes, tips, tutorials, Sticky's , comparisons, good advice, bad advice, humor, camaraderie. And probably more years of brewing knowledge than any book on the market. When I have a question, I don't go to my books, I go to HBT. The people here are not only fun to hang out with, they also want to help you get the most out of your involvement with home brewing. Books are good, HBT is better ;)

I hear there's a recipe in that book that has lobster shells in it.

To get a better idea how you are brewing, your next acquisition should probably be brewing software. I use brewtarget (free!) but beersmith looks like a good deal too.

also i cannot express to you how much easier small batches are when you ignore the BBS vorlauf procedure and switch to a BIAB method. 5 gallon paint strainer bags work great.

HBT is better than any book I've read. I can search here, I can ask here, almost anything beer or brew relate is here, if you spend any time looking, you will get the answer here. There are recipes, tips, tutorials, Sticky's , comparisons, good advice, bad advice, humor, camaraderie. And probably more years of brewing knowledge than any book on the market. When I have a question, I don't go to my books, I go to HBT. The people here are not only fun to hang out with, they also want to help you get the most out of your involvement with home brewing. Books are good, HBT is better ;)

Well yeah, that's why I get on here too. :) I'm a bookworm at heart though, so any excuse to get a book is usually a good one for me.

also i cannot express to you how much easier small batches are when you ignore the BBS vorlauf procedure and switch to a BIAB method. 5 gallon paint strainer bags work great.

YES! We're doing the next batch BIAB for sure - pouring hot wort through a small, flimsy strainer while your baby freaks out because being on the other side of the baby gate is pure torture to tiny humans - not so much fun. Lifting out a bag of grain and letting it drain - sounds like bliss to me!

Well yeah, that's why I get on here too. :) I'm a bookworm at heart though, so any excuse to get a book is usually a good one for me.

I hear you. The best sources of learning for me are this board, N.B. board, Podcasts - Brewstrong, jamil show, beersmith brewing radio. But....... I cannot resist books. I love books and buy every one that I can. Just got a shipment of about 8 brewing books from amazon a couple weeks ago.

Back