Just bought a new laptop, thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I just purchased the Acer AS5740-5513 and just wonder if there is anything that I should do to it immediately such as memory, battery life or anything like that. I was looking for something portable, but useful at home, the right price range, solid quality, and able to be used for my writing, listening to music and cruising the web. I thought about a netbook, but was annoyed by the size of them. This might turn out too big, but I will find out soon. Not like I am really flying or anything though, so can it really be too big.

1113000208697_215X215.jpg

Specs are here:

The Acer AS7535-5020 Notebook is packed with entertainment and extras to get more out of your digital world. Featuring a cinematic 17.3" high-def widescreen LEDbacklit display, Windows 7 Home Premium, AMD dual-core processing, ATI Radeon HD graphics, Dolby Surround Sound and extras to keep you productive, you will be able to do things quicker and enjoy more of your entertainment wherever you are.

* AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor QL-65
Offers 2.1GHz speed, a 667MHz Front side bus, and 1MB L2 cache
* 4GB of DDR2 Dual Channel Memory @667MHz
Handles multimedia and multitasking
* 320GB SATA hard drive, rated at 5400rpm speed
Stores up to 90,000 photos, or up to 79,000 songs, or up to 38 hours of HD video
* SuperMulti Double-Layer DVD burner
Plays and creates CDs and DVDs in a variety of different formats
* 17.3" HD Widescreen CineCrystal LED-backlit Display
1600x900 resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics with up to 1919MB of HyperMemory supporting Shader Model 4.0, Microsoft DirectX 10.0. HDMI video allows you to connect to an HD TV.
* Wireless WiFI & Wired Gigabit Ethernet port
Connects to a broadband modem (cable or DSL) or a network supporting 10/100/1000Mbps.
802.11 b/g & N wireless LAN, connects wirelessly to a network, hotpost or broadband router.

Additional Features
* 56k Modem for Dial up connections
* Integrated Webcam for video chat with family or friends
* HDMI HD Video Out to connect to a HD TV
* Dolby Optimized Surround Sound System with 2 built-in Speakers and SPDIF out
* Multi-in-1 memory card reader to download your files from your digital camera
* Dedicated Numeric Keypad with fullsize keyboard
* Multi-Gesture Touchpad for scrolling, zooming and page flips
* 4 USB 2.0 ports, Headphone and microphone ports, VGA-out ports
* 6 Cell battery for an average of 2.5 hours of battery life
* 7.1Lbs system weight.

My Acer has pretty much the same specs but I only have a 16" screen. It's a nice computer, and Windows 7 is amazing compared to vista. Mine gets fairly warm after an hour or two of use, so I would definately suggest buying one of those fan mats to set it on. Also, lithium ion batteries (regardless of the myths) don't need any special care. You don't need to fully charge it before use, and you don't need to fully discharge it before charging.

They're actually saying now, that if you keep your battery between 20-80% charged at all times, it will perform better...longer.

I would like to burn DVD's if possible using this computer, is there an easy program to get in order to be able to do such things. Both home videos and even shhh...rented films.

I would like to burn DVD's if possible using this computer, is there an easy program to get in order to be able to do such things. Both home videos and even shhh...rented films.
There is probably an entry level burning software program that comes with the machine. The rented films will need to be unencrypted though before you could duplicate them.

A fresh windows install! get rid of all that bloatware and crap you don't need.

I would love to do this, though it would require buying/finding all new programs and Windows. I would love to though if I knew someone all computer smart that would work for beer.

I've found a few great programs. Slysoft makes some excellent software for burning DVDs and decrypting rentals. I have to decrypt even to backup the ones I buy or load them to my computer.

Slysoft offers a 30 day trial, but after that it's $100 for both the decrypter and the burner. It's a very easy to use and nice program. The decrypter auto runs in the backround so you never need to open it or mess with it at all.

Another good program I just started using that's free for decrypting is called Free DVD Decrypter. Downloaded it from Cnet.com. You actually have to load the file to your computer though and it decrypts it while doing so. Then you can load the new file into your stock dvd writing software and it will burn it for you.

Several people I talked to (I just bought my first laptop too) said that anything bigger than a 15" gets a little big/heavy, especially when carrying through airports/whatever. You said you weren't flying a lot so it's your call, but something to consider. I got a 15.6" HD screen and it's plenty big.

I've been using DVDFAB for a couple of years now, they offer updates all the time and quickly update when a new encryption scheme comes out.

So I recieved the computer and then somehow reformatted my old laptop and then put UBUNTU onto it. I am using it right now to post my first Linux style of post. I am shocked. It was simple. I have been threatening to put Ubuntu onto my laptop for about a year and I finally did it! Wooo hoo. Of course, the new computer is a 17.3" screen which means that I have a full keyboard and a 10 key also. This makes your typing slightly off scewed from the screen because a laptop moves when you are typing to the left.

I have to say, it has been an interesting technology week for me. More Makers Mark for me.

Yahoo!!!!

Back