American IPA Just Barely IPA - Silver Medal 2018 COHO Spring Fling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowen1911

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 65 deg
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Additional Fermentation
N/A
Tasting Notes
Citrus/ floral/fruity with minimal malt. Really easy drinking.
Are you tired of overly malty IPAs? Don't care about the NEIPA fad? Want a IPA flavor that feels like drinking a summer beer? Well you should give this beer a shot. It's dry, crisp, clean, and packs a hop flavor and aroma so great, you will be wondering how you ever drank any other IPA.

I don't like caramel malts in my IPA's, nor do I like a bite from the bitterness. This beer lacks both. The calculator puts it in the 70's for IBU's, but I have drank 40 IBU beers that seemed to have more of a bite. Don't let the IBU scare you (if you are reading this, I doubt that's a problem) as it is a very easy drinking beer.

Scored 37/50, 2nd place COHO Spring Fling IPA category

I got 75% efficiency, so adjust grain bill accordingly.

10 lbs 2-row
.8 lbs Munich 10L
.5 lbs Aromatic malt
.5 lbs corn sugar (added in boil)

Mash @ 152 deg 75 min

60 min boil

.25 oz Summit FWH

1 oz Each- Citra, Mosaic, Centennial 10 min
.5 oz El Dorado 10 min

Repeat 10 min hop addition at flameout and steep for another 15 min

Chill and pitch yeast

Ferment @ 65 deg for 9 days

add dry hops to primary
.5 oz El Dorado
1 oz each- Citra, Mosaic, Cascade, Centennial
Wait 5 more days and Keg.

Chill/Carb/Serve/Enjoy.

I'm going to try this. I've been looking for a recipe like this for a while now since my first feeble attempts at an easy-drinking IPA weren't anything special.

Not the best picture, but who doesn't like looking at a beer

IaWKYnT.jpg

Non-IPA drinkers have came back asking for more of this beer, and now that it is "award winning," I'll have to keep making it.

. . . .and now that it is "award winning," I'll have to keep making it.

What did it win? After you tell me, I'll edit the title of the recipe to reflect the medal it won - I always like it when brewers include that when I'm looking through the recipe database - its an indication to me that the recipe is tried-and-true.

2018 COHO Spring fling IPA category second place. 37/50. I use quotations because I don't consider second place in a category all that impressive, but my friends that found out about it getting a medal won't stop calling it my award winning IPA

I see you or another moderator deleted the copy thread of this. I apparently refreshed the wrong page or something, and I got two threads. Thank you.

A silver medal is nothing to sneeze at it - its affirmation that your beer doesn't suck LOL! Seriously, congratulations. And I've added the silver medal in the title, which is a really helpful thing for brewers looking for a recipe.

Back