Just as I was feeling good about things

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rascal

Reaction score
This is embarrassing but since it is a board for beginners maybe it will help someone else keep from making the same mistake. My first brew a couple of months ago was Autumn Amber. Everything went perfect including a great tasting beer. So I immediately brewed another one (cream stout) again using the kit. Bottled it 10 days ago. Since I didn't even attempt to take any readings on the first batch and everything went so well I didn't take any on this batch either. Any way I went by my house at lunch today and as soon as I opened the door a sweet smell hit me. I knew what it was before I even looked but I walked into the room where my two cases of bottled beer were and opened the box up. There were 5 bursted bottles. I gathered the remaining bottles and put them in the fridge so I'm not sure what I'll have when I get home. So I guess my next step other than clean up is learning to use the hydrometer. I used the whole packet of sugar that came with the kit by the way.

How long was the stout in the fermentor? Just curious....not going to restate what ya did as you already know. Happens to the best of us homie! At least nobody got hurt...just the beer and the walls or whatever got stout on it lol.

4 weeks. By the way the beer was in a covered box so not too big of a mess so far unless my fridge is a mess when I get home. Should I have gotten rid of all of it or is it worth trying to salvage. I opened one and it tasted pretty good.

Happens.

Open a few, from different spots in your bottling order if you can, and see if they explode at you when you open'em. If none of the ones you open have a problem, or if they're undercarbed, it could just be those 5. If they're all overcarbed, check for infection and if there isn't one just recap. If there is an infection, sorry for your loss.

In 1992 I was on the highway between Kingston, ON, and Montreal, PQ, after completing my degree. As I passed a truck on the highway I heard what sounded like a gunshot from the truck. Then I smelled 'that' sweet smell. I pulled over to find three 500 ml bottles had exploded so there were glass shards and stout all over the carpeting in the back of the van. I was thrilled.

B

Either the beer was under attenuated,or you over primed it. Even the priming might be uneven. It happens sometimes.

I think from now on I'm going to use an idea I saw in another thread. I'm buying a large rubbermade type container to store my newly bottled beer in. This board is full of great ideas. Reading the various threads on here is almost as addictive as the brewing itself.

Thats sucks about your beer but keep your head up, nothing to worry about. Get out and get another batch going, don't look back.

NNNNoooooooooooo!!!

jcon773l.jpg

Why, God, Why?!!!!

If you suspect bottle bombs I would have probably put them in the bathtub, but yes, it is always worth trying to salvage.

I put all of the remaining bottles in the fridge approximately 9 hours ago. So far none of the others have exploded. Even opened two tonight. They opened with no problem and tasted pretty good.

Back