Just a thought:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a kit from Morebeer while I was there, so another brew day will be next weekend.
What kit did you get?
Extract or all grain?

Gonna jump right back on it, but this time dry yeast will be the option.
Which (dry) yeast?
Dry yeast won't need a starter or even rehydrated prior to pitching. It's pretty much foolproof, just sprinkle it onto the surface of your room temp wort in your fermenter. Place airlock and let it be.

One note on that:
Aerating your (chilled) wort previous to pitching the (dry) yeast is still recommended, regardless of what the dry yeast manufacturers claim.

Have you read John Palmer's How to Brew, 4th Ed.? While you have the time, I would urge you to read that before brewing.

What kit did you get?
Extract or all grain?

Which (dry) yeast?
Dry yeast won't need a starter or even rehydrated prior to pitching. It's pretty much foolproof, just sprinkle it onto the surface of your room temp wort in your fermenter. Place airlock and let it be.

One note on that:
Aerating your (chilled) wort previous to pitching the (dry) yeast is still recommended, regardless of what the dry yeast manufacturers claim.

Have you read John Palmer's How to Brew, 4th Ed.? While you have the time, I would urge you to read that before brewing.
This is a citra all grain kit. I am going to put my mash tun together and give it a go. I am thinking of putting some hot water in it to see how long it will hold temp so I know what the drop is and what to kinda expect.

The yeast for this one is S05, which I have used and I did not screw that one up too bad LOL. I have used BRY97 and really liked that one too. And it is pretty much what I did. Cooled the wort, sprinkled it on and let it ride. My closet, as I have been monitoring it, stays in the mid 60's and probably gets a bit lower during the night, so with the heater I think I can control the temp to be good.

I have not read his book, but put it in my wifes Amazon cart to get when she does her next order. Gonna give it a read as well, but I have learned so much from all of you here and the other forum I am part of, that I think I am ok. Just need to tweak my process. I have made some really good beers, just hit a bit of a slump I think. Either way, thank you so much for all your input. I appreciate that you and all the others take the time to post. RR

This is a citra all grain kit. I am going to put my mash tun together and give it a go. I am thinking of putting some hot water in it to see how long it will hold temp so I know what the drop is and what to kinda expect.
Are you using any brewing software to estimate your volumes, temps, etc.? Especially now you're using your new mash tun.

Also check how much water remains in it after you drain it. And see if tilting it toward the end of the draining will help empty it better (stick a rolled up towel under the back end). Any wort left after draining is considered "lost" to dead space. The 2 batch sparges will help dilute it, so whatever is left after the 3rd draining will be at the gravity of your 3rd runnings, which may still be in the 1.020-1.030 range. You try to minimize (sugar) losses, especially those at high(er) gravity.

The yeast for this one is S05
Good choice! US-05 that is. ;)

I wonder if the second pitch didn't do anything because it was already fermented out. The only way to find out is pull a sample and use your hydrometer. I always taste test my sample, whether it's pre fermentation, during, or after. No sense wasting it.

I wonder if the second pitch didn't do anything because it was already fermented out. The only way to find out is pull a sample and use your hydrometer. I always taste test my sample, whether it's pre fermentation, during, or after. No sense wasting it.
Thanks for the post. I am going to take a reading later on in the week. I work graveyards so I am usually beat up tired by the time I get home. LOL. And I will agree. I am going to give it a taste. What the heck, the last two I did were a bit off on the numbers but tasted ok. RR

OK, so I took a gravity reading, and yet another first for me. It was 1.016 to 1.018. So, obviously it was fermenting all along. I have not had any of my beers, extract or all grain, ferment and not show anything thru the airlock. I tasted it, and it tasted all right. Very light in color and crystal clear. So, now you can all tell me how I should have been more patient and I should have taken the gravity reading instead of relying on the bubble effect. LOL. I am going to take another reading probably either Friday or Saturday. If it has not changed I will bottle either later Saturday night or Sunday morning. Either way, this was a learning experience as I ran into more than a few things I had not dealt with before, so all is good, at least for now. Next brew day is Saturday as I bought a Pale Ale from More beer that is basically a single Citra hop pale. I am looking forward to that one. Anyway, thanks to all who had input and basically said nicely that I was being me again. LOL.

Rock On!!!!!!!

Gravity reading checked again and it is down to 1.012. So, I am going to let it sit a bit more. The closet has been sitting right at about 67 degrees or so. So, as long as it won't hurt it, I am going to let it go until the end of next week where I have a couple of days off. This is all very strange to me, but I guess I am pretty happy it is at least doing something. LOL.

Back