Just a quick question. (Time is a factor!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

size

Reaction score
When making the starter for my Saison yeast, I already started to heat the water/DME before i realized I hadn't smacked my smack pack yet, and it was still in the fridge.

Should I:
A) Turn off the heat and cover the pot for a few hours until the smack pack gets a chance to do it's thing.
B) Say $%@* it and proceed with making my starter, ignoring giving the smack pack a chance to start?

Since it's a starter, I guess I'm leaning towards B, but I figured I'd ask around here just in case. This will be my first all-grain batch and I want everything to be perfect!

You don't have to smack the smack pack. But I would break open the small inner pack of nutrient and put it into the starter with the yeast.

When making a starter, I smack it when I get started if I remember. If not then the nutrient pack and the yeast all go in the flask together. No harm done.

Back