just a question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muntzster said:
weak, i only brewed a 1 gallon batch of this stuff.

For the cup or so you'll lose by drinking or throwing it out, you saved the rest of the batch from possible contamination. I see it as an insurance policy, plus I've been tasting mine every step of the way to see how it changes (currently ready to bottle my first batch).

No, don't pour the wort back into the batch! I know it was already said, but repetition works... Drink it, it should taste good even with no carbonation. :D
To learn about the hydrometer (I wouldn't be able to explain it as well), do a search on this forum, as i'm sure there is tons of questions already answered about that. Or, you can go to www.howtobrew.com and read the online book about homebrewing for that and much more information for beginners.
As for the corker, I don't know, because I use a bottle capper. sorry.

That corker is a real pain to use. You basically put the cork into it, then use a rubber mallet to hammer the top of the corker to push the cork into the bottle. Mine came "free" with my wine making kit, and it's useless. You need a corker that has two levers on it to push- they are about $20. That's hard enough to do, but possible.

If you're not aging your wine (and I get that impression from some of your other posts) you could probably get away with either capping beer bottles full of wine, or using bottles with screw tops. Either way, that'll work for a couple of months. Corking my wine has been the biggest PITA of all the brewing I've done. Someday I'll get a floor corker, but for now I'm only corking 3 gallons or so max at a time so I'll keep plugging along with my double level corker.

Lorena

Back