Jungle Juice Drinkers Drink Jungle Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to make a drink that is high in alcohol content and relatively cheap to produce, what is the best way to accomplish this? I was thinking fermenting some juices high in sugar would do the trick but let me know what you think! My goal is to get around 15-30%alcohol Thank you

Here in Hawaii the Dole plantation workers used to make "swipe" (as I've been told).

Laborer way: walking through the pineapple patches picking the ripe ones, you choose a big not-quite-ripe one and cut the top off. Stab the exposed fruit several with a knife, sprinkle on some smuggled in bread yeast, replace top of fruit and affix with toothpicks. Return in a day or two, and eat/drink the fruit/juice for a much deserved pick-me-up midday. Results may vary, never near 15%.

Old-timer version: pulp the pineapple to a juice, or score the runnings from the press. Put in one gallon bottle with yeast and affix to rocking chair near the top. Rock away and talk story, occasionally sampling brew until gone (or it kills you).

Modern version: I've fermented pineapple juice, with and without sugarcane juice to supplement. Never got anywhere near 15-30%. Granted, now that I have better temp control on the fermentation, I'm looking to experiment again with straight sugarcane, but I doubt I'll ever get over 8-10% with anything drinkable.

You did say Jungle Juice, right? Maybe you just meant fruit juice plus hard liquor?

For that abv, I would recommend step feeding a near complete fermentation corn sugar. You could use some concentrates in the initial fermentation for more flavor.
Anything with enough sugar to get to 15%+ will get really hot and taste like jet fuel without serious temp control.

Maybe use San Diego super yeast to start, then double pitch champegne yeast after primary fermentation.
Step feed it a half pound corn sugar every 12-24 hours to keep the temp from getting super crazy.
Rouse yeast every couple days as well.

First, you will never, ever get anything to ferment to 30% ABV. The yeast will die off long before that. You may be able to achieve 20% with the right yeast if you provide the right conditions and everything goes right. Going higher than that would require some kind of distillation (freeze or normal).

I would check out the Chinese Rice Wine thread. It's fairly strong, super easy to make and very forgiving, very cheap to make if you buy jasmine rice in bulk, and tastes great without ageing. Nobody has been able to really determine the ABV of it because of how it starts out with solids instead of a liquid, but people estimate based on the effects it has on you that it's between 15% and 20%. My advice though is to let it ferment for 6 weeks or until it stops bubbling, not the typical 21-30 days mentioned a lot in the thread. You'll get much more complete fermentation and therefore higher ABV.

Also check some of the freeze condensing threads. Very doable. I did an APA that is condensed then added some so4 and carb tabs to the bottles. It carbed up fine. Botw, I only estimate that to be around 13%.

I've also killed yeast feeding it cornsugar in a 15% bipa.

If you want to ferment one, your going the distilling route to go any higher then like 25% ABV, even that is pushing it.

I want to make a drink that is high in alcohol content and relatively cheap to produce, what is the best way to accomplish this? I was thinking fermenting some juices high in sugar would do the trick but let me know what you think! My goal is to get around 15-30%alcohol Thank you

I had great success fermenting lemons with ample sugar and using that liquid (once bubbling had stopped) to ferment fortified orange juice with elderberry added. It is currently still explosively fermenting and the alcohol refractometer is reading 22%
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back