Juicy VT like IPA Extract Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBecksOSU1

Reaction score
Fellow Brewers. Looking for a Juicy East Coast IPA kit. Something like Heady, SOS, Jailai.

Low malt profile with tons of juicy citrusy goodness. Any suggestions?

I don't think you will find a kit because the methods are not really fully understood yet. If I were you just start with a 5ga batch and a pound of fruity hops like mosaic, Galaxy, citra, get some London Ale III yeast and some light malt and go for it and report results. That's pretty much where we all are at now.

I don't think you will find a kit because the methods are not really fully understood yet. If I were you just start with a 5ga batch and a pound of fruity hops like mosaic, Galaxy, citra, get some London Ale III yeast and some light malt and go for it and report results. That's pretty much where we all are at now.

I think you are right on Kvantan. After trying Sip of Sunshine the first time I made a batch with just a bit of Magnum for bittering and then 12 oz. total of only citra (for 5 gallons) mostly in dry hop or in the whirlpool and I was very happy with the results. For malts I think just keep it simple, 2-row, maybe a bit of wheat, and a bit of vienna or light munich. Last week I bottled another attempt at a Vermont-y IPA but this time going for something more like Hill Farmstead or Fiddlehead, same malts but with tons (20oz) of hops like mosaic, simcoe, el dorado, and just a bit of columbus to balance with some dankness. The dry hop alone had 6 oz for a 5 gal batch...I thought it was excessive but at bottling it was extraordinarily delicious. I have very high hopes for the mature beer.

I think you are right on Kvantan. After trying Sip of Sunshine the first time I made a batch with just a bit of Magnum for bittering and then 12 oz. total of only citra (for 5 gallons) mostly in dry hop or in the whirlpool and I was very happy with the results. For malts I think just keep it simple, 2-row, maybe a bit of wheat, and a bit of vienna or light munich. Last week I bottled another attempt at a Vermont-y IPA but this time going for something more like Hill Farmstead or Fiddlehead, same malts but with tons (20oz) of hops like mosaic, simcoe, el dorado, and just a bit of columbus to balance with some dankness. The dry hop alone had 6 oz for a 5 gal batch...I thought it was excessive but at bottling it was extraordinarily delicious. I have very high hopes for the mature beer.

what yeast are you using? Yeast Bay Vermont Ale?

what yeast are you using? Yeast Bay Vermont Ale?

I cultured conan yeast from a 4-pack of heady topper but after using it in about 6 hoppy brews I'm not as enamored of it as others. It is fine, I guess, but I prefer the London Ale III mentioned above which may or may not be the yeast that Hill Farmstead uses. For what it is worth, I made one of the all citra Sip of Sunshine batches with good old Notty and it was wonderful too.

I just killed a keg of Morebeer's M-80 IPA that uses Columbus, Centennial and Simcoe and calls for the addition of 3 cut-up valencia oranges in the primary. Honestly it was one of the best IPA's I've ever made. It's not super bitter and really toes the line between a weak IPA and strong PA so if you are looking for that it might not impress you. However, this was one of the most balanced and flavorful IPA's I've personally made. The orange addition worried me but it really brought the beer from a 7/10 to a 9/10.

I just killed a keg of Morebeer's M-80 IPA that uses Columbus, Centennial and Simcoe and calls for the addition of 3 cut-up valencia oranges in the primary. Honestly it was one of the best IPA's I've ever made. It's not super bitter and really toes the line between a weak IPA and strong PA so if you are looking for that it might not impress you. However, this was one of the most balanced and flavorful IPA's I've personally made. The orange addition worried me but it really brought the beer from a 7/10 to a 9/10.

Thanks man. I've brewed their Pliny kit 3 times I love it but just a little too bitter for me. Morebeer is great. Definitely going to get the M-80 thanks.

Did you end up brewing this one? What'd you think?

I actually went with More Beer Columbus IPA. The Kit was $26 and couldn't argue with that price. With the Giga Yeast Vermont double pitch it came out so good. :fro:(my daughter made me put the fro in)

Back