Judge me, name me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkecd

Reaction score
6 lbs. American 2 row
6 lbs. English 2 row
2 lbs. 60L malt
1 lb. biscuit malt
1/2 lb. honey malt
1 lb. flaked maize
1/2 oz. Kent Golding 4.9%alpha (60min)
1/2 oz. Saaz whole leaf 7.8%alpha (60min)
Irish moss (15min)
1/2 oz. Czech Saaz pellets (5min)

1/2 oz. Saaz whole leaf 7.8%alpha dry hopped into secondary fermentor

Mash 90 minutes at 156F

That's a pretty huge beer with very little hops. What style is it supposed to be? A brown? seems like its going to be too high of an OG for one.

gmcapone said:
That's a pretty huge beer with very little hops. What style is it supposed to be? A brown? seems like its going to be too high of an OG for one.

A scotch ale? ESB? "Malty Bastard" ale... I'd go with that.

Ha, Chex Mix. That's a good one.

Maybe it is a low grade english barleywine? your OG is looking up around 1.085 and your IBUs are only 18.5.

What exactly are you aiming for? I'm sure folks will be more helpful if you explain your goal with this recipe.

I'd cut back on the lbs of malt. It's probably not going to be too balanced even if you are looking for it to be malty/sweet. There are specific grains and adjuncts you can use that will give you the body you want.

I did something hair brained like this recipe when I first started brewing...in case you caouldn't guess it didn't turn out well. It looks like you've got a mash-up of two styles, a cream ale and an english bitter. It's best to choose one or the other. As general rule of thumb, I try to go for only 3 malts and 3 hops max. Something like this would work:

*Disclaimer*I'm not using any software on these numbers, just off the top of my head, so you may need to add a pound of base malt to get it to whatever ABV you're looking for.

Cream Ale:
6 lbs. American 2 row
1/2 lbs. 20L malt
1/4 lbs. Honey Malt
1/2 oz. Saaz whole leaf 7.8%alpha (30min)
Irish moss (15min)
1/2 oz. Czech Saaz pellets (5min)
US05/WLP001 Yeast (suggestion)

English Bitter or ESB
6 lbs. English 2 row
1/2 lbs. 60L malt
1/2 lb. biscuit malt
1/2 oz. Kent Golding 4.9%alpha (30min)
Irish moss (15min)
English Ale yeast

Not my first recipe. I've been brewing for years and thought I would try something out of the box and odd.

Back